Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nature vs. Nurture

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by corbinam, Feb 25, 2014.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I found this article to be interesting as we've had the nature vs. nurture discussions many times on this forum. I found the way she illustrates the spectrum to be easy to understand.

http://www.usdaa.com/article.cfm?newsid=2515

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    very interesting- it's good to know that it's not all my fault:winkgrin:

3. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    All very well, so long as this isn't used as an excuse for not properly training dogs.

4. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
  5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Excellent article. Recently I had a long discussion with a friend from Cornell who specializes in behavioral issues in dogs and her comment on this nature vs nuture debate was that there is far more understanding today of the genetic "map" that influences behavior. That is not to say that the mishandling (environment) of a dog won't have consequences, but a dog can have behavioral issues even if handled well from birth. Her take is that at least 50% of the personality of a dog is mapped before birth. One of our vet's who also specializes in helping owners with problem dogs feels the genetic influence may be even higher than 50%. This is a dramatic shift from just a few years ago when anyone who was having problems with a dog was almost automatically dubbed as a less than good dog owner. Hopefully this shift will help people who are struggling to reach out for help without knowing they will be slapped with a negative.

Trini

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Awesome article! Thanks for posting! This is something I've been saying for a very long time. Mainly because I have a sheltie who is most likely genetically shy and fearful. Through training and socialization, she has made huge improvements, but without training she would've been even more of a mess. She has never been abused or neglected, yet if she was to ever be rehomed, I'm sure people would assume she as.

This is why it bothers me when dogs who are shy or fearful are adopted from a shelter or rescue, the new owners will usually claim "oh we think he was abused in his former home." I hear that statement all the time when they dog is shy and the new owners don't really know the dog's former life. Just because your rescue dog is shy, doesn't mean he was abused. Might just be his temperament and either the original family didn't train to try to improve it or the genetics outweighed the training. At the same time, you have dogs who were abused and appear mentally unscathed. They act like normal, happy, loving dogs. Not to say that there aren't abused dogs who are fearful as a result of their experience because sadly, I'm sure there are plenty. It just seems like people automatically assume their shy rescue dog was abused without actually knowing the circumstance.

7. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    As the Mom to a super reactive, sometimes aggressive girl I am so happy to hear that all I have tried to do with her over the years was not me being a failure with her training but genetic. We certainly have seen a lot of progress but sometimes I just shake my head and accept that this is the way she will always be. I do know her dame and from what I have seen it would make sense that Meadow's issues are genetic.

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Colonel Underpants is a classic case in point. He is the bluest blood in Sheltiedom, was raised in the most loving supportive environment, yet he suffers from fear aggression. As he told us, "I don't know why I'm afraid. I just am."

With training and support, he became a titled Rally competitor. Yet his personality hasn't altered; he simply learned to manage his anxiety. We did it together.

9. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Overall I find discussions nature vs nurture a waste of my time. Not much can be proven and what can does not help. So you got your dog with unfortunate hereditary fears and anxiety... now what? or you got puppy from ¨good¨ parents but from kennel and not socialized... now what? Does it MATTER? Unless you are a breeder it is what you do with what you have matters... IMHO
    Silvia Trkman reposted her excellent article on fears
    http://www.lolabuland.com/2014/02/25/busting-the-myths-5/

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I think it matters. If you own a dog from a line of dogs with fears, the nature of the fears may affect how you address it. Also, should you get your next dog from that breeder?

As an informed sheltie owner, I think it's important for me to know the strengths and weaknesses of my dogs and their pedigrees.