Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

2 Shelties at Shelter in Gatineau Québec (10 min from Ottawa)

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by Meldor, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    I visit my local SPCA shelter's website every once in a while to look at the available dogs in case I know someone who may be interested and occasionally walk some dogs there when my schedule allows it.

Today I was sad to notice 2 shelties-mixes available. Luckily this is a no-kill shelter and they do adopt out many dogs every week but it's still a sad place for some nervous shelties. I know mine would go crazy in a small enclosure besides 30 other enclosure with dogs barking around.

Here is Whitney, a tri 3 year old girl who doesn't look like a mix to me:

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet7064232.html

and Hailey, a sable also 3 year old girl that also looks very Sheltie but may have some mix:

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet7064233.html

I wish I could take them under my wing as at least a temporary home but I don't think it would be a good idea with my already people shy/reactive 18 month old Sheltie and the fact we live in a condo.

Hopefully they find a good home and maybe someone here would be interested. I plan on taking them for a walk tomorrow evening or early tonight and giving an update on their temperament.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

OMG! I wish you hadn't posted those......its all I can do to not drive out immediately to see these pups!

I really like the Gatineau Shelters and their no-kill policy.

I currently adopt out cats from the Ottawa Humane Society, but have been considering looking at other organizations.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Are there any sheltie rescues in your area? You may want to try to contact them just to let them know. Often they work together with shelters to help the dogs find homes.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Not close by. I looked 4 years ago after Timber died. And before I got Bacca. The closest is in Southern Ontario - about a 600 km drive. Not many people will make this trek.

That being said, I have great respect for this Gatineau shelter. I have every expectation that these pups will find homes.

5. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    I went for a walk with both of them after work tonight, I will post pictures separately. They arrived at this shelter Friday from a shelter from Montreal. It seems they were found together by someone. They both seem older than 3 years old. (I don't really understand why they noted a date of birth in the ad if they were found though)

Here is Whitney. She is overweight, very shy yet friendly. She did not come towards me but after the walk I sat on a chair in the lobby and she immediately lay down beside my leg and wanted cuddles. During the walk I tried crouching while facing away but she did not want to come close nor make much eye contact. At the end of the walk she was walking on a loose leash beside me. She looked worried when I asked her to sit or any other command therefore I simply let her be to not stress her out. She preferred to stay on my left when I walked her so I think someone probably taught her to walk on a leash on their left side. She did not bark once, not in the shelter and not when we passed by strangers during the walk, she even pulled towards them. Looked somewhat alert to noise and different things in the environment (like a strange truck). In conclusion from this first encounter (but let's note she is under a lot of stress in the environment she currently is in) she is a sweet gal who will need regular walks and a diet to loose her extra weight. She will need a calm environment with soft, kind people.

Here she is:

Attached Files:

6. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    As for Hailey, she is not as shy as Whitney. No barking at all either, not when I went over to their enclosures and not on the walk. She as a sweet face and is a bit timid yet once I bent down she immediately came over with her tail wagging and wanting to be petted. She as a structure that leads me to believe she may have been overweight and lost lots of weight... I could feel her ribs and her spine. She was energetic on the walk, would pull forward but come back to my side every few steps. I decided to try running with her to burn off some energy and a funny thing happen, she did not fully run, she simply followed my pace... seems like someone used to jog with her. When we were walking near parked cars, she seemed very stressed and pulled a lot, I think she is quite afraid of cars. When we saw people on the walk they were walking towards parked cars so she was still pulling away, therefore I do not know if it was the cars scaring her or the strangers. Other than that, she wanted lots and lots of cuddles. Sweet girl...

Here she is:

Attached Files:

7. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    A last one of Hailey I couldn't fit in the other post but it really worth it.

Attached Files:

8. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Ahaha Barb I understand! I am totally upset of having gone on the Shelter's website this week as now I am struggling with wanting to maybe adopt one or seeing if I could be a foster mom to one of them. On the bright side, I really want these girls to find a good home and I am glad to help. I'll sleep on the idea of fostering one before discussing this with the BF (who warned me not to come home with 2 shelties after I walk them tonight :lol:).

I like Hailey but think she will be easier to find a family since she is more outgoing and my condo situation on a busy street would not be good for her fright of cars. I think Whitney could benefit of a foster home to help her lose weight, be in a calmer environment to relax and get used to people.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  9. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Yes no Sheltie rescue around, but I don't often see Shelties up for adoption around here. You are right Barb, they do have a great program and adopt out a good number of dogs per week. Probably why the Montreal shelter sent them over here.

10. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    How far is the rescue where the shelties are from Montreal.