Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lacey has runny poo!!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Judyg, Aug 15, 2014.

1. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Just getting to this thread and hoping that your tiny Lacey is feeling better really soon!

Trini

2. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    I am keeping your Lacey in my prayers.

Please update, when you can. Thanks.

3. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Lacey is staying with Auntie Dawn tonight. I hope the drugs have kicked in and she is doing better.

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Um is Lomax =Loperaimde(Imodium)? I wasn't sure because a few drugs compounds where listed under the names you listed. If is it it should not be given to herding dogs unless you know for sure they are MRD1 normal/normal.

5. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I don't have the pills here, and can't find the statement from the vet right now. I was told it's similar to Lomotil for humans which is different than Imodium. I may have misspelled it too. Now I'm worried about giving her the drug.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yeah I wasnt sure either. I found a listing for Lomax that listed Loperamide and other listings for 3 different drugs. This is why veternarians don't use brand names it is clear what one is talking about when one uses generic names

7. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I just talked with Dawn and Lacey is fine. The drugs are starting to work so she should be feeling much better. No reaction to it at this time.

I will call the vet and ask tomorrow though just to be safe. We are still going to give it too her. It's helping with the loose stool and we should have the results from the sample test back tomorrow.

My other concern with her was that the breeder told me what kibble they were feeding. I bought exactly what they told me to, but when I opened the bag yesterday it looked very different than what was sent home. I had dropped some on the floor and Lacey started eating it and really seemed to like it.

I'm a little frustrated with that, but since she is doing better I'll just stick with it for now. I was planning on changing her dry food, but not so fast and not to what I am currently giving her. I want her to have a chance to settle in here and get used to her new home.

Justicemom, Can you please tell me why you are not supposed to give the drug to herding dogs so that when I call the vet tomorrow I don't sound like an idiot?
    Thank you

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Lomax could refer to one of three drugs.

Lomotil
    Immodium
    Hyosciamine (Levsin)

Each is different. Immodium is more a stopper-upper, Lomotil is more a calmer downer but has more of the opioid effect which does the stopping-upping, and Levsin (which I used to get as Lomax) for IBS is a smooth muscle relaxer and will just stop the cramping motion of the stomach and bowels thereby settling things down instead of constipating.

Not sure which your vet chose. I would suspect Lomotil over the other two, but it's just a guess based on what I have heard from the GI doctor and what I had done when I picked up giardia a couple times. He is waiting for the screen for the choosing of any treatments, I assume but trying to settle it down in the meantime.

I love and more love that my new vet has a full lab in the office. I got lucky there (never happened before with all my previous vets).

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Immodium must be on the MDR1 list -- didn't know that. We are normal/normal so we are good but Melli is untested. Let's hope the whole thing is just rapid change. Food/water/flying/new environment.

10. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    Imodium is on the MDR1 list.