Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tinsel's Journey

Discussion in 'Rescue Stories' started by Tagg, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Tonight was Tin's first class in scent skills. We are focussing on human scent and have started with a wallet. The methodology being used is called "back chaining". It is the reverse of what is traditionally used to teach scent work so instead of teaching the dog first to follow a trail and then to indicate a "find" we are teaching the behaviour of "find" first - in Tin's case he will sit and then teaching what leads up to that. We started with targeting on a wallet of my husband's first in my hand and then on the floor. Since he targets anything I asked him to target in my hand and is quite familiar with targeting objects on the floor it wasn't a big leap to get him to sit once he touched the target. We will work on perfecting this lesson in various places and surfaces inside and outside for the next week. He has a 6 month old Portuguese Water Dog with him in this class so there was a good deal of distraction while he was working but he quickly learned to ignore the bouncing dog and get to the game with me. This is exactly why I wanted him to go to a class of this kind - improve his confidence in himself and me and to learn to ignore external stimulus. During the Porti's turn we did his mat work - learning to relax on a mat even though things are going on around him. He's starting to demand more time to play now. Whereas he was quite content to lay around chewing on a toy he now lets me know that he is getting bored and wants some activity to do. I couldn't be more pleased. He's a young dog and he's finally able to act like one. The grooming situation is not improving and I have a hard time looking at his scruffy little self but hubby promised to give me a hand this weekend to see if we can get a handle on his coat before it gets out of control. I told him I would take him to Port Dover for an ice cream cone if he behaves!

2. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    lol @ Mooch the Pooch!

Ok, now who gets the ice cream cone if Tinsel behaves? Hubby or Tinsel??? lol

3. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I guess they'll just have to share! Notice I am not planning to share mine ;-)

4. Sheltiemama

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    lol Good luck with that!!!

5. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Sheltiemama: he ended up getting some of everyone's cones! We managed to get his breeches layer brushed as well as his tail. Figured that was enough pressue for one grooming session and that he earned his treat. He met 3 Min Pins that belong to a friend of ours and saw many city sights while we wandered around Port Dover. He even tried to visit with a bird that swooped down to see if there was any leftovers. We went back to Jacqui's and the five dogs - Phoebe was with us too- got some time to interact and explore her yard. He was pretty tired when we got home.

6. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Wow! You and Tinsel just amaze me everytime I read of his progress. so happy you were able to partially groom him. That's a big step for him.

I was thinking this morning I would love to share a link to his story on Fb. There are so many Sheltie Rescues on Fb and people adopting that I think so many people could learn from this. Not sure if you would be ok with that(don't know if you are turning this into a book someday) hint hint! We wouldn't want to leak his story and not sure if the forum would allow it to be shared there.

I think Tinsel needs an FB page!! :fl I know like you don't have enough to do.

7. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I'm not even on FB much to the horror of my son and grandson. I toy with the idea of writing his story and even have thought of how the opening would be. I had a very dear friend that was a writer and fellow dog breeder that would have been really pumped to do the story of Tinsel but she passed away a few years ago. The reason I started this thread was to pass on the lessons I have learned through the rehab process with him and to get input from others that have faced the challenges in a dog of his sensitivity. It also helps me to realize how far he has come when things regress or a new challenge presents itself. We are really fortunate to have people in our corner to share their experience. As I am sure you know, giving a dog his life back is so rewarding. From seeing the first glimpse of interest in his eyes, feeling the first soft lick of his tongue on my hand, the first wag of his tail and the confidence start to shine as he learns a new task is one of the most rewarding experiences I have had in my life with dogs. We've got so many ribbons sitting in boxes but they pale in comparison to even the tiniest improvement we see in our boy. The lady that transported him from Ottawa to Kingston told me that he was glued to the back of his crate the whole way but occasionally would look at her when she spoke to him. I hope we will meet so that she can see how far he has come and what her kindness meant to his life.

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Tinsel had his 2nd lesson in scent skills tonight. After teaching him to target the article and sit to indicate it we now start to chain the behaviour. Starting with a couple of empty small boxes I was to place the hat (I changed from the wallet) into a box and clicked him when he targeted and indicated it. After several successful attempts in the first box I then moved it to the second. He went to the first box and then sniffed around until he discovered it in the second. Lots of praise and rewards for Tinsel. After a few minutes of moving the hat from box to box we then moved it to the top of a short stool, then under the stool, then behind me on the floor, back to the box - never more than a couple of feet from me. I was even able to walk around and drop the hat and send him to indicate were it was. He did occasionally go over to see what the other dog was doing but he came back to me when I called him. This week I will continue to work on him finding the hat in the house and outside. While he didn't always have to use his nose to find the hat he did use it at least half the time. BTW, the hat only comes out for the game and then is put away between lessons. Funny thing tonight. The parking lot behind the store that the lessons are in is shared with a restaurant. As we were running late tonight and being late to class is not an option I inadvertantly opened the door to the restaurant and Tinsel refused to go in. Instead, he pulled toward the correct door - thank goodness - and then when I opened the correct door he merrily walked in. He showed no sign of fear - he just knew it was the wrong door. Guess he earned his Timbit tonight!

9. Sheltiemama

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    I am just so delighted to read about Tinsel's continued progress! And that he got to share everyone's ice cream cone. :) Smart boy!

I loved the part where he took you to the right door! He's make such enormous strides it just warms the heart!

10. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Tin's nose is in overdrive. I just baked Banana Bread and it is cooling on the counter. In case I don't get the chance again, I want to wish everyone and their precious furry friends a blessed and happy Easter.