Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

GIGANTIC clumps behind ears!

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Eve and Pippa, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Eve and Pippa

Eve and Pippa Forums Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    Scotland
    Hi there,
    Pippa has been making these giant clumps of hair behind her ears that are absolutely rock solid! We cannot pick them out with our fingers and trying to pull the brush through them is impossible!! We think this is caused when she scratches behind her ears and they just seem to be getting bigger!!!
    They are now about the size of iPod shuffles ( my apologies, I could not think of any thing the same size!) and the feels like it has been glued together!
    We have considered cutting these clumps out with scissors but it may look a bit odd if there are chunks missing out of her fur under her ears! If anyone has experienced this before, please comment!
    Thanks,
    Eve
    and most importantly,
    Pippa (the sheltie)!

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Just cut into them a bit, and then brush them out. It will take a while but it can be done. Afterwards, use either baby powder or cornstarch, comb it through, and it should help with the mats. The fur is so fine it mats very easy. Something we have all had to deal with at some point or other. Don't panic - it is fixable.

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I think if they are that bad you will need to cut them out. Please be careful not to cut the dog when you do it. Could you take her to the groomer to get it done?

Then, please make sure that you keep them combed. Once a week is usually enough to keep them from getting that bad. Also keep corn starch in the hair back their to also help keep them from forming.

4. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I agree with the sounds of the size of them the best thing for the dog would be to cut them, and chalk it up to lesson learned...trying to remove them at that size will be too painful for her, also you want to get the mat out because otherwise it will cause skin damage.

once cut out just comb the dogs ears atleast once a week so they dont get to that size..it doesnt matter if the dog is scratching or running the fur there just tends to knot up if it gets long.

5. Eagle

Eagle Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I have had it happen. At least the groomer I goto charges very little for something like that if you have trouble getting it out yourself. It takes them 2 minutes at most.

Good luck

6. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    ahh, those lovly clumps. when i have had to deal with them. i smile and tell Tessa, hair cut, you are not a show dog, it grows back.
    Sugar is forever getting those on her tail ( eskie), i think because Tessa is always pulling Sugar's tail

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I had that happen to Indy once because I kinda forgot to stay on top of it.

Overtime, I developed a multi-step process for dealing with ear matts.

I start with sprinkling baby powder and rub into the matts to loosen things up. Then, I use a wide tooth comb to try and break up the matt....starting at the end and working up to the skin. I alternate the comb and a soft slicker brush, and adding more powder as I go along.

If I still have matts, I don't cut them out horizontally, but I use a thinning shear and cut up vertically towards the ear, then comb/slicker again. Repeat and repeat.

It's tedious but works and with minimal hair cutting overall. The vertical cuts are only to break up the matts, not the remove hair.

I hope this helps!

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Try doing cuts/splice through the length of the matt and see if you can tease some of the hair out. I would be wetting the hair when you do this, its easier to slide out plus you won't get as much breakage. Small nail scissors are helpful for splicing the matts and also for teasing out some of the difficult bits. You may be able to salvage some of the hair this way and only have to cut out the really bad parts

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I just realized this morning that Bailey has a gigantic knot behind her ear. It is larger than a quarter! :eek2:

It must have formed because of the grease of her ear infection medication.

I think I'm gonna have to cut it out. She hates being groomed and will fight me if I try to brush it out.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Seriously....don't cut it out horizontally.

Rub some powder or cornstarch into it first to loosen things up.

Then make a few vertical slices, preferably with thinning shears and comb out. Cut again if necessary.

Cutting the clump out horizontally is a last resort, truly.

I've had these with Indy when he was younger and his silkey fur would constantly get knotted up.