Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Reasons for limping

Discussion in 'General Health' started by eneda, Apr 11, 2012.

1. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Definitely checking for Lyme on wednesday! We love and totally trust our vet, she is awesome.

2. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Our vet was able to see us sooner so we went there last night. After examining Pebbles she believes she has pulled a muscle and the pain is mostly on her elbow. The vet said considering her age, shape and the fact that she is always on antiflea/tick medication its is very unlikely to be anything major or lyme. Pebbles body temperature was also normal and she didnt have any other symptoms that could point to an infection. But if she doesnt get better in 2 weeks or so we will test her for lyme and do X-Rays. For now, no long walks and stairs for miss Pebbles. I hope she gets better soon. Sucks that this happend right when we wanted to start agility. Booo

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Just an FYI....

Dandie had Lyme at 2 years old. Always on Frontline. Perfect shape. NO SYMPTOMS.

Chloe had Lyme at 9 months old. Always on Frontline. Perfect shape. No temperature but had slight limp in her front left elbow....sometimes.

Just so you are aware that your vet's reasonings for not having Lyme are not consistent with the many many many dogs that I know that have come up Lyme positive.

On another note, I hope that with a little rest your pup recovers quickly and there isn't any big problems.

One suggestion....before you spend the money on an x-ray, please, and this is from someone who spent LOTS of money on x-rays, orthos, PT, chiro, acupuncture....just get a cheap Lyme test done :wink2:

4. bibluegirl

bibluegirl Forums Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    pa
    I agree. My girl just turne up positive for lymes. Started with a slight limp which we thought was just old age (shes 12) she was on frontline her whole life. In august I tested her (when the limping first started) it came out negitive, but last week she could hardly move her head was hanging low she looked painful.

She was due for her checkup anyway I decided to check her for lyme again and sure enough came up positive.

We also see dogs who have no symptoms come in and come up positive.

Ticks are bad already this year. I would still get your dog checked for lymes as a precausion.

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Sgh. I don't understand the reluctance of vets in testing for lyme or other TBD.

Dogs get Lyme disease when they are on flea/tick preventative. Nothing is 100% and the deer ticks are so small one almost never finds them unless one is really really checking.

It is such an easy test, I don't get it.

6. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    She hasnt been limping the past 3 days. I did not do her blood work last time because I thought it could wait since she was already in distress. We will go back in May and I will ask them to run a lyme test too then just to be on the safe side! Thank you for all the suggestions! :)