Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Stretching - What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by OntarioSheltie, May 29, 2009.

1. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Whenever my husband or I talk sweetly to Sadie, she answers by wagging her tail and stretching. It can be predicted most times, she does it so often, she does a little bow with her bum in the air, then stretches out her back legs behind her.

It's very cute but I've always wondered, what does it mean? I've never seen a dog do this before. Is it a sign of submission?

I should try and get it on video this weekend, given the frequency that she does it, it shouldn't be too hard to record.

2. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I looked online a little while ago and couldn't find anything about dog body language that mentioned stretching. Of course since I just posted this, I found this article, which seems to make sense to me.

http://www.clickertraining.com/files/canine_body_lang_pre.pdf

I'd still love to hear if anyone else has any ideas or if you've read something somewhere!

3. MisfitBrian

MisfitBrian Forums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008
    Little Elm, Tx
    I actually have video of Max doing the "stretch" that I'll post later. I believe it's more a sign of being comfortable than anything else. My Dr. said that humans are the only animal that doesn't stretch automatically when they wake up.

4. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Belle does the same thing! first she stretches her front then she drags her back legs about a foot. I always thought it was so cute when she does this. Belle is also the only one of my dogs to do this.

5. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    Rasha does it too! Every time you talk to her when you are standing up she stretches. It is funny!

Thanks for posting the article, that was interesting to read the author's opinion about the stretch and what it means.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  6. Aztec

Aztec Forums Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2009
    Ohio
    Aztec does this as well. I never knew why, I just assumed he did it because Laika did it...Laika does it because when I was teaching her "bow" I said "good girl" so often that she now bows every time she hears the words "good girl":smile2:

7. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I guess Sadie's behavior is not so uncommon after all! Good to know :smile2:

8. Ania

Ania Forums Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2008
    Canada
    Actually, that's true of adults. We are too busy right off the hop thinking about this and that that we don't listen to our bodies anymore. If you observe infants and small children, they do stretch when they wake up.

9. davemize

davemize Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2009
    Pickerington, Ohio
    That's interesting, Anita. So, the same mind that lets us modify our environment (one of the signs of intelligence) also lets us overcome some instincts.

I still circle three times before laying down, though.

10. MisfitBrian

MisfitBrian Forums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008
    Little Elm, Tx
    :lol: wait, what?