Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Sheltie Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJHUNTL View Post
This has me thinking of 2 more accounting acronyms that might make good dog names:

LIFO ( last in, first out)
FIFO ( first in, last out)

I'm an accountant by trade as well, but now a pet store owner so LIFO and FIFO still have meaning to me.

Sometimes I think I should have renamed Indy as LIFO.....he drives me so crazy sometimes with his infernal territorial barking!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:10 PM

I've uprooted my dog two times already and I'm sure there will be more moves. She's handled it like a champ. Not only did we move, but no one else who lived with us moved. I'm her "person", so she doesn't care where she is as long as I'm there. We spend some weekends at my parents' house, she's stayed at my boyfriend's house, she used to live with other dogs at some point.

Every dog is different. I know my parents' dogs freak out when they go out of the house. I'm lucky that my dog doesn't seem to care where we live as long as I'm with her.

Some tips for moving... If you can, bring your dog to your new place for a visit or two before he official lives there. Unpack and have your new place ready to go before your dog will permanetly live there. And Try to keep your dog's routine as similar as possible.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:11 PM

And back to original post.....After my husband and I separated, Timber, my then sheltie, went back and forth between my ex-husbands place and mine....usually following the kids with their "Dad" time. He had no problem at all adapting. It just became the new routine.

Years later, after Timber died and I got Indy and Bacca, I moved into a new home. The day of the move, I had my friend keep them for the day. Then brought them home, showed them where their food was and at bed time, brought them onto the bed with me as usual. No fuss! Yeah they sniffed our corners but no big deal.

Ultimately, as long as they are going to me living mostly with their "alpha" - which I assume is you, then all should be fine. And even if not, Shelties are pretty adaptable.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 08:17 PM

I agree with what the others have said, sounds like you are doing all the right things at all the right times. Fasb sure is a lucky boy to have such thoughtful, caring humans. I did similar with my Bambi when we had to move, and it is true that they don't too much care where that is so long as it is safe, warm and you are there too. Good luck with the move and know that Fasb will transition well.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasb's Owner View Post
Faz-be, though it's not really supposed to be a hard "z" sound.

Basically, FASB is an accounting term. It's an acronym for Financial Accounting Standards Board. His original owners - my sister-in-law and her ex-husband - are both accountants.
That's funny. I hate to say it, but I remember FILO, FIFO from my college days of Financial Accounting classes. Yuck.

At least now I'm pronouncing his name correctly. :)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Thank you. As far as we're concerned, he's a member of the family. Neither one of us want to cause him a lot of anxiety if we can avoid it. He was uprooted from his family once three years ago (when we got him), but handled it very well. I think it helped that we had already been around him most of his life and he knew us.

I would definitely leave him with my wife if I thought it was best for him. At least initially, he'll have people he knows (and loves) in the house with him even when I'm not around. My dad lives with us, even though he's still extremely independent, so he's planning to move in with me. One of my daughters plans to move in to until she can afford to rent a place of her own off-campus. And the wife and I are on good terms - it's not exactly acrimonius (more a case of drifting apart and being incompatible on some major issues), so we expect to visit the other's place to see the kids and what-not.

My hope is that Fasb can go back and forth between the two homes regularly. That way, he keeps all of his family around. I actually took him over to the new place this morning for a bit, so he could start getting used to it.
Sounds like Fasb will have lots of family around. Honestly, as long as they have that one main person, people come, people go. I can say this as I've been in/out too many relationships to count, lived with my folks, lived alone, live with men, etc. I've also moved almost every year that I had Miko, so let's just say, at least 10-12 times I've moved. As long as he's with me, he was fine.

I think he'll be fine. Like it has been said, uprooting him completely from one person to another (as in adoption) is what unsettles them the most. Being the main person and uprooting the dogs home/house, not as bad. Even when Fasb loses people in his life, he'll adjust, because he has you as an anchor.

Oh, I will say this. At one point, I was putting the dogs in daycare for the move, so they'd be out of the way. However, I had brought them to the empty new place, told them we'll be moving. Then brought them to the empty old place, told them we're leaving, then to the new place with stuff in the house and told them this is our new house. Honestly, they did great. Even if I didn't show them all the places, I think they would have been fine. Just show them where their beds are, and where the water is, and I think they'll find their new favorite spots. It may not be where you place their bed though, LOL. Personally, throwing them in daycare was the easiest on me because they were out of the way. I moved my boys 1,000 miles with a 16 hour car trip and they did great! Sniffed around the new place, found some spots, saw the water, and they seemed okay. Tired, but okay.

Last edited by k9kreationz; Nov 17, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJHUNTL View Post
This has me thinking of more accounting acronyms that might make good dog names:

As long as a dog named EBITA doesn't show up on the boards, we'll all be okay.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyGallant View Post
As long as a dog named EBITA doesn't show up on the boards, we'll all be okay.
That made me chuckle! Of course, if you heard that name, you'd probably just assume they were saying Evita!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take4roll10 View Post
Some tips for moving... If you can, bring your dog to your new place for a visit or two before he official lives there. Unpack and have your new place ready to go before your dog will permanetly live there. And Try to keep your dog's routine as similar as possible.
Yeah, we were planning to do this. Fasb has already been to the new place and I'm going to take him over at least a couple more times to let him get acquainted to the neighborhood. Wife's not throwing my stuff on the lawn or anything, so I'll have time to get the place ready and comfortable before we move in. It doesn't look like we'll move before Thanksgiving.

(Off-topic, I've never been separated or divorced before, so I'm a little weirded out by how civil this is proceeding. Wife isn't bitter or angry or in a hurry to get me out, even thinks it's ok if I stay until the holidays are over since all the family will be in. It's all very..... businesslike. And, honestly, I'm realizing I'm not as bothered by that as I probably should be)
-
Old Nov 18, 2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
(Off-topic, I've never been separated or divorced before, so I'm a little weirded out by how civil this is proceeding. Wife isn't bitter or angry or in a hurry to get me out, even thinks it's ok if I stay until the holidays are over since all the family will be in. It's all very..... businesslike. And, honestly, I'm realizing I'm not as bothered by that as I probably should be)
-
All I can say is that sometimes it is that way. Both parties act like grown ups. My parent's divorce was very civilized. To the extent that they even used the same lawyer.

About Fasb- thanks for clarifying how his name is pronounced- I was going to ask too. About moving, I'm pretty certain he'll be fine. I've moved with my animals before and they were always just like, "Oh. Okay- Hi Mom!" We were a bit worried about moving Brodie and Casey in together, but they were fine together. We were also worried about our cats, because Nick's cat Boo was a bully. Well, Boo puffed up and growled at my ancient black cat Merlin. Merlin just went POW! And hit him with a left hook that could be heard across the room. Boo shook his head and was far less of a bully from that point on.