Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Plumeria- toxic?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Calliesmom, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so Jocu knocked over the plumeria outside and I caught him chewing on the stem/trunk. I didn't find it on any of the toxic plant lists but I`d like to hear if anyone knows anything different. Waiting to hear back from vet....

2. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I do quite a bit of plant/dog internet searches and I've never heard of it being on a toxic list. But a second opinion would be good. I'm no 'toxic plant expert', so I could be wrong:eek:.

Edit- Just did a Yahoo search and found that it can be hard for them to digest and it was recommended to take the dog to a vet but wasn't nessesary unless the dog had problems. I would ask your vet anyways, just to be sure. Hope this helps and Jocu dosn't have any problems.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I did hear back from my vet last night- maybe 10-15 min after I posted here.
    possibility of upset tummy :ick though Jocu is showing no signs of any problems. But he might not have had the chance to actually eat any of it- just get a couple good gnaws on it before the mean mommy took it away.
    I'm a little upset that he knocked the pot off the stand and broke the plumeria. I have had that plant longer than I have had shelties.............:mad:

4. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Can't the Plumeria be repotted? Plants are almost as resilient as Shelties. :wink2:

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I wish - he broke the stem:(

6. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Well that's not good. It's a very pretty plant, too.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013