Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

skin issues

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Watson's Mom, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    So, I know a lot of you are quite familiar now with Watson's predicament.... He's doing wonderfully so far by the way.

Anyway, something I'm noticing now is where he was shaved is his skin is like a shedding snake. It's mostly around the areas of his wounds so my thought is that it's probably a product of the shaving and just the whole area having so many small spots of damage that they are healing at different rates.

Any ideas how I can get rid of the dried skin? I tried brushing it out with a flea comb but that doesn't seem to be working so well. I don't want it to start itching him more prompting scratching of the healing wounds. A bath is still out of the question to try to wash it out. I don't know if trying to comb it out has made it worse or if it just looks it now because I've spread it though his very short hair... I can see where both under coat and guard hairs are growing... that must be itchy enough then add on the dry skin.

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I am so glad Watson is doing better! I would love to see some pictures of the little trooper :D

Anyway, Gavin had some flaky stuff that had me perturbed for a while. I bathed him in medicated shampoo and it cleared right up.
    <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054HUEHS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1>.

Thing is, Gavin wasn't acting itchy. I was just projecting. So since you can't bathe him, the only thing I can think of it to keep him cool. Heat will just dry things out :(

3. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Yah know- it's very possible I'm projecting the itchiness as well. I managed to keep two of the wounds open for 8.5 days... almost made it to tomorrow's appointment... I couldn't keep the actual skin tissue from healing together no matter how much I scraped out the dried drainage crud.... I suspect they will be reopened tomorrow. He hasn't even really been bothering with the scabs at all, HIS itching is probably all in MY head!

4. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Here's watson on his dad's lap. The fancy sheet is because he was still leaking.. actually he was still leaky until a day or two ago.

Attached Files:

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Darci, Watson's eyes look upbeat...that is good to see. Hope the irritated/flaky skin issues get better. Can you use any anti-itch cream on these areas or does your vet want the areas kept dry?

Trini

6. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Watson is just so beautiful - makes me want to cry when I think of everything that poor little guy has gone through - and you guys also. He is so very fortunate that he has you to care for him.

And I agree with Trini - he has such a nice look in his eyes...so promising.

7. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    A cream of some sort.... that might be a good thing for me to ask about tomorrow. I forget about half the things I mean to ask every time we have an appointment.... he looks like he needs a good moisturizing! He can only reach the one wound with his back foot, but he seems to be trying more often now... I can't blame him... I can only remember having a cast after surgery and how badly my leg itched as the incision healed but not being able to get to it.:gaah. I bet some of them I will be able to put a cream on.

We had zoomies tonight and the look on his face was fabulous as he tried playing keep away with a stuffed duck and the cats.

8. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Darci, so good to see your beautiful boy on the mend. Hopefully, it is not going to be much longer and all will be right in Watsons' world (and yours) once again. :fl

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Darci, I always used to forget half the things I planned to tell and ask the vet as well. Now, I write everything down on a piece of paper and bring it with me.

Hope you find something to clear Watson's flaky skin! My dog has flaky skin. I massage coconut oil on her skin a few hours before a bath. It's very greasy and she tries to lick it, so I have to make her wear a t-shirt, but it helps her dry skin.

10. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    Ask the vet if you can use Animax on it. I don't know that it would help but I try to keep it around for use on just about everything.