Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Puppies 101
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jan 11, 2014, 04:40 PM

Smile All about Puppies

I am bringing home a little sable puppy in about two weeks! I have a few questions..

1. How do I act towards the puppy when she first comes home

2. Fun toys to play with, chew on, ect.

3. Introducing her to other animals

4. When to start training

5. Any necessities that I am forgetting (I have puppy food, a crate, bowls, and will get toys)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:21 PM

Go get this free download from dogstar daily and while you're there bookmark the site. It has loads of useful info.

It will amswer a lotof these questions and more. Congrats on the new pup, don;t forget to post pictures when you have the time.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/you-get-your-puppy

Mom to Hanna ( smerle born June 3, 2013)
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:53 PM

As cute as that little bundle of fluff will be, always remember that you don't allow it to do things that you wouldn't want to see in an adult dog. For example, if you don't want it on the couch, don't ever start it. If you want it to not jump up on you, don't allow it when it is cute and little. Start as if it is a tiny adult but remember that it is incapable of long teaching sessions.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=Sheltie.Mama;294589]I am bringing home a little sable puppy in about two weeks! I have a few questions..

be calm, playful and just enjoy her. Let her explore your house and sniff around to get used to it.
Any toy is a fun toy. Make sure if you buy chewies to get Made in the USA though
Let her get used to you first. Then introduce an animal at a time.
Immediately! If there is something you want her to do or not do, start as soon as you get her. Especially potty training. I taught Ruutu how to sit his very fist night of him being with me. We even have a video to prove it
5. Any necessities that I am forgetting (I have puppy food, a crate, bowls, and will get toys)
Just love her and cuddle :) Don't forget a leash, collar, a spray that takes away the scent of where she peed in the house (I forget what it's called, but it's in the cleaning isle at pet stores and walmart..walmart is cheaper)
Thank you
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:46 AM

Here's a thread about toys: http://sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=19943
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie.Mama View Post
I am bringing home a little sable puppy in about two weeks! I have a few questions..

Act like you do every day. Puppies are exciting and fun and full of energy. It's easy to lavish them with attention and all your time. If you can keep that up the rest of their lives, great, but most of the rest of us have jobs, families and other responsibilities. Working to acclimate the puppy to your lifestyle immediately will help both of you adjust.
Quote:
Puppies like sticks. They like strings (especially the ones in my shoes ) but more importantly, puppies like what they like. We have had many puppies over the years and each one will figure out what their favorite toy will be. What you need to establish right away is what is NOT a toy. To puppies, the whole world is their chew toy and it's up to you to educate them. small-ish knotted rope toys and nylabones are good. I'd stay away from the rawhide chewies to start only because if they swallow a chunk it can make them sick.

Quote:
If you have a happy friendly puppy, introducing them to other socialized animals can be immediate. Make sure of the other animal first, though because puppies will not respect boundaries and might cause a cranky old dog to react badly. This could put your little guy off to more socialization and instill a future fear reaction. And, make sure you are in control of the situation. Don't just throw them together and hope for the best.

Quote:
Training begins day one. Simple things like house training and behavior correction will be first. Just understand that you must be patient. Young puppies (8+ weeks) have short attention spans and little control. A few minutes a day to start and increase that a little at a time. Some things they will latch on to right away, some things they will fight you with and others they just won't understand. Be patient and if you find yourself getting frustrated or angry, give yourself a timeout.

Quote:

Thank you!
Restrict your puppies access to areas where you can monitor and easily clean. When they are out of the crate, let them out frequently and praise them like they just won a Nobel Prize if they relieve themselves outside. When (not if) they have an accident only correct them if you catch them in the act. After the fact will mean nothing to them. And make sure you clean it up. We've always had good results using full strength white vinegar. Never use an ammonia-based cleaning product (it smells like pee and they'll think it's okay to go there).

Stock up on paper towels and get plenty of sleep.

Remember that there is nothing better than puppies ... except maybe MORE puppies.

Last edited by Lunatic59; Jan 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:35 PM

I tell you what the pediatrician told my wife and me after we had our first child: "Don't spoil her!"