Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chw?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Mom2Melli, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Bulldogs aren't that unusual -- people want them to look bad***. I am not into bulldogs or any flat faced animal after having had the Himi's and Persians, but that's me.

As for the CHW. Since I am new to sheltes -- it's just another color to me and I think they are pretty and I am sad they are not full status. I wouldn't say unusual, I just say pretty and a color that attracts me, perhaps it reminds me on some level of my Himi's in dog form (mask + white body). That's most likely. I have always been drawn to the pointed cat color and this is similar. My mom reminded me this morning that my very first dog was a terrier mutt that was a . . . wait for it . . . color-headed white. Bingo! I like Paps too -- similar coloration but a little too delicate and small for my household. CHW shelties are not an unhealthy color, say like a DM ad the color touches me on a nostalgic draw level. One likes what one likes, I suppose.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    And you're going to send her my way, right? ;) I have to start my rainbow somewhere. Haha.

I too would love a CHW, just as a pet, I don't have the resources for an agility prospect, but you know I'd work on obedience (easier and cheaper to train). I have always loved their coloring. And like you melli's mom, I'd want it from a reputable breeder, so I may stalk you and see what you find. :)

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I think it's funny that so many people love CHWs. I think they are lovely, but all I can think about is how dirty all that white would turn and quickly :). My dogs only have white legs and ruffs and they get a bit yellower than I like :)

4. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I really only like colour headed whites if the rest of the colouring is blue, and also when there is some white on the face as well and preferbly some colour on the body as well. A tri or sable head on an all, or mostly white body looks odd to me. Kinda like an unfinished page in a colouring book :biggrin2:

5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Maybe it's because you're so active with your dogs? Koji gets a bath maybe 4 times a year and is always white. Unless we do agility in the dirt. Then he gets wiped down with a wet towel.

I dunno, I think I just like the pattern. Probably why I like blues that have dark blue/black spots too. :)

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am an indoors kinda girl and so are my dogs so a CHW is just fine by me. I only train in an indoors facility too! Dirt is for the goats!

7. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    i agree. We had Hanna out with us yesterday and Ross took her out to pee before the ride home. He put her in the car all muddy as he didn't bother to pick her up while crossing the muddy parking lot. Another 10 feet and he could have put her on dry gravel. :gaah

8. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    How simply LOVLY.:dead:

9. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I wouldn't say CHWs are bred only by BYBs. After all, there are those who compete in ABCA (international) and UKC who allow CHWs to show and finish championships. Also, many top breeding programs have white factored dogs in them, and not all dogs that are white factored appear to be, so even they produce CHWs from time to time.
    I don't think there is anything wrong in seeking one out.
    I would love to have one, but color is secondary, and as much as I like them, have to look at all of the other aspects I want in a dog first. It is hard enough to find what all I want in a dog so finding one that happens to be a CHW also is a pretty difficult task.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I agree that not only BYBs breed a CHW. If the CHW is of good/exceptional quality there is no reason why one couldn't keep a CHW and breed her and show them in UKC if one likes. Heck the one we have is really nice and has not been ruled out but she has a long way to go.

What was shocking was the number of people who I know to have little interested in breeding beyond color are interested in such a puppy at even a day or so old. So beware when you are looking for one.