Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Sheltie Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:06 PM

So the other day, it dropped below 30 and the grass froze. When I went outside, it was 31. Brr. I froze. Koji? He wanted to keep walking. Now it's about 40 and windy. The wind blows and Koji looks like he's in heaven. He really does have a spring in his step (and he wants to chase the leaves).

I guess this dog really wants to be in the cold like other Shelties. Unlike Miko, who loved the warmth. LOL. Like I said, Miko was a non-Sheltie, I guess I need to remember that Koji is "more" Sheltie and will enjoy the cold.

So now I feel stupid asking about booties. However, good to know if they put down salt and to keep his paw fur trimmed and to look for ice balls afterwards. I doubt we'll get that kind of snow, but just in case, good to know.

Oh, a question. I did get a notice from my apt complex talking about freezing weather this coming week and that if the stairs/sidewalks freeze, they will apply ice melt. No clue what that is. I'm assuming I should protect his feet? How will I know if they applied ice melt?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9kreationz View Post

Oh, a question. I did get a notice from my apt complex talking about freezing weather this coming week and that if the stairs/sidewalks freeze, they will apply ice melt. No clue what that is. I'm assuming I should protect his feet? How will I know if they applied ice melt?

Thanks.
It looks like white rocks/salt chunks on the sidewalk. That's what makes my guys' feet hurt. I try to avoid those sidewalks and walk on the grass.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
So the other day, it dropped below 30 and the grass froze. When I went outside, it was 31. Brr. I froze. Koji? He wanted to keep walking. Now it's about 40 and windy. The wind blows and Koji looks like he's in heaven. He really does have a spring in his step (and he wants to chase the leaves).

I guess this dog really wants to be in the cold like other Shelties. Unlike Miko, who loved the warmth. LOL. Like I said, Miko was a non-Sheltie, I guess I need to remember that Koji is "more" Sheltie and will enjoy the cold.

So now I feel stupid asking about booties. However, good to know if they put down salt and to keep his paw fur trimmed and to look for ice balls afterwards. I doubt we'll get that kind of snow, but just in case, good to know.

Thanks.
You definitely want to avoid it if you can. But if its only going for a short distance, just wipe your pups feet when your bring them in.

But if you are walking on sidewalks that have been treated with salt or ice melt, then you I really recommend you treat their pads before and after. I mentioned a few products already...Pawsticks, Dr. Maggie, Invisible Boots.

And constantly check your pup's pads for cracks and dryness. If so, then treat as soon as you can with ointment.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbV View Post
And constantly check your pup's pads for cracks and dryness. If so, then treat as soon as you can with ointment.
What ointment do you recommend? F-kap and Jody's paws have a tendency to crack.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
What ointment do you recommend? F-kap and Jody's paws have a tendency to crack.

What I mentioned above....pawsticks, Dr. Maggies or Invisible boots
Old Nov 27, 2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Shelties can most definitely deal with 30-40 F weather without batting an eye. Its when you get into my neck of the woods with -10 to -20C as daily norms that the pups start to push back. I will walk them those days of the snow is soft......its insulates them from the cold. But if the snow is frozen, then yes, they will feel it....and that's when I say boots or only quick in and outs!