Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Drake found!

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Bradt9881, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    The info I read was the dog escaped from an enclosure (and exercise pen from what I read). What an amazingly resilient dog. and what relief for the owner.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree with Tofupup. If there's any lesson to be learned here, it's how wonderfully supportive the Sheltie community is, whose members contributed more than $5,000 so Drake's owners could continue to rent the mobile home where they stayed at the show site, fund the search and tracking efforts, and move heaven and earth to find this little dog. We are all so glad he's home.

For the record, he was not being walked off-leash when he escaped, either!

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I think we have all learned just how precious our pups are to us and what a wonderful world it still is out there with our fellow dog-lovers. It is overwhelming the effort that was made to find a dog moving differently that most would - apparently not circling around but in a straight line. I was crying happy tears when I read yesterday he was found. I can only imagine the heartbreak his owner felt and the overwhelming joy and relief when she got the call. A special thank you to the vet tech who found him - I don't think words are enough to express how we feel towards this wonderful lady.

Hugs your pups a little tighter today - it could have been anyone of us. It also reminds me not to judge a situation too harshly without all the facts.

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    From what I understand he escaped from the exercise pens that were attached to the building. The latch was supposely tricky and it popped and he was gone. No walking off leash occured.

Glad he was found

5. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Oh dear, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers . . .

I have already deleted the Emails we were receiving about Drake. Therefore, I am unable to share where I got the information that he was off lead at the time.

Glad he was found and will be fine.

6. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Found the Emails I was receiving about Drake - it appears they were coming from NWAL Herding dog rescue.

Sorry to perpetuate a false rumor about how Drake got loose.

7. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Good news - Drake is heading home this morning.:smile2:

8. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I'm going to spend a few minutes this weekend making sure that my boy's microchip is registered to me at my cell phone number, that AKC CAR has his info, and update the picture of him on his crate tag, that contains all the numbers - in case of an emergency.

In honor of Drake, let's all spend a minute to make sure our microchips are registered correctly, and that we have current pictures ready to print into flyers should the unthinkable happen.

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I did that the other day. My rabies tags on the girls are registered with SOSlost pets too - pictures, rabies tags number, microchip numbers. Unfortunately, we need to plan ahead for this eventuality, and pray it never happens.

10. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I'm glad the dog is OK. We've heard these stories -- what was it a whippet a few years ago? Something out of Sacramento more recently? Airlines! A few years ago a lady with two Aussies left a CA show and had a car accident and her 3 dogs were loose. Two returned quickly, the other was a long hunt.

I had my first beloved Aussie slip his collar when an R/C plane almost hit us. I stood there looking at all my ID tags and a dog flat out running in sheer fear. He was chipped, but he was heading towards a farmer's property that shot dogs on sight. Thankfully a parking monitor on horseback tracked him and they got me where I could see him in this huge field of foxtails. Screaming and crying and calling thankfully he circled back to me. I pounced on him and spent the rest of the weekend crying and picking foxtails out of his coat. Never walked a dog on a flat collar since then. It was the emptiest feeling in the world with him just GONE. I never want to feel that again and I never want to hear others feel that -- be they with animals or humans that are missing.

Anyway -- I think it is wonderful how hard everyone worked and I think it is great everyone is taking the time to check the chips for updates. Good way to celebrate Drake's safe return.