Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New Sheltie owner in Mexico!! Have some questions

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Moxie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Moxie

Moxie Forums Novice

Apr 17, 2012
    Mexico
    Hi Everyone! We are an American family that moved to Mexico a few months ago. I had to give up one of my two Italian Greyhounds to move here (he was way too skiddish and nutty for Mexico). So I've really been feeling down having just my one dog. We tried out a shelter dog but didn't fit with our family.

I always have liked the look of Shelties but have always been a sighthound owner (Italian Greyhounds, Afghan, Saluki). The other day I was looking at ads and came across one for Sheltie puppies. We saw them today and fell in love.

The thing is... well, this is Mexico. And where we are at there isn't much in the way of quality, pedigreed dogs. We have purebreds for sure, but they are a bit iffy. Kind of a mixed bag. Basically you just get to go on looks.

So today we put a deposit on what is said to be a male blue merle Sheltie puppy. I don't remember seeing any before this, but they just seemed really big. Bigger than I thought they'd be. But then again, I'm used to my tiny IG.

The lady had two adult Shelties and one adult Collie at the house, along with several Sheltie puppies (a few sable and black tri and one blue merle). The two shelties were the daddy and grandmother of the puppies. We were told that the mother was at a family members house with several other puppies.

I noticed that the Collie was lactating. I immediately began to suspect that the Collie was the mother of the puppies. Making them half sheltie, half collie. The woman insisted that the Collie was just nursing the pups and she said she "took the Collie to the vet so he could induce lactation". She insisted that the mother was full Sheltie but had so many puppies (10) that they worried about her and separated five from her and let the Collie mother them. She's supposed to email me pictures of this mother Sheltie at some point..

So anyway, we have this puppy and now I'm really curious if he's full Sheltie or a cross with a Collie. Not that it really matters to us, we'll love him the same. It'd just be good to know.

Here's baby boy. Once I get him home I'll get a better idea on his weight:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27003803@N08/6943444992/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27003803@N08/7089515515/

Here's his daddy, he's in front and the collie is in the rear:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27003803@N08/7089515769/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27003803@N08/6943445176/

Here's our puppy with a couple siblings:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27003803@N08/6943445492/

I'd love your thoughts. :smile2:

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    The thing about shelties is that because they are a new breed you'll end up with throwbacks to some of the earlier shelties--that can include them having a more collie-like head.

I'm no expert, but if I had to guess, I would say that your dog is half collie. His head is very collie-like.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I agree with Ashley - there seems to be collie in the blue merle.

Welcome as well.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    There does appear to be Collie in your puppy's head. How old is he? So he may be an "oversize" Sheltie cross, but he is a handsome boy! I'm sure he'll be a great addition to your family and we'll look forward to hearing more about him. Welcome to the Forum and do keep us posted on him.

5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Congratulations on your new puppy!

I don't see a prominant "stop" on your pup, but I am still not sure if that is a good way to tell if it is a collie mix or not.

The biggest thing that stood out to me is 10 puppies. That is a LOT for a Sheltie. The Sheltie breeders could step in here and let me know if I am way off base here, but I thought that Shelties typically have smaller litters where the collies have larger litters. But again, I could be way off.

In any event, your pup is beautiful! Congratulations on your new addition. Both Collies and Shelties are amazing dogs, so I hope that you have the best companion dog ever!

Welcome to the Sheltie Nation Forum!

6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
  7. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    my parents raised andshowed collies, so i grew up with them.
    all my adult life i have had shelties.
    i am in no way a professional, just someone who kind of knows both breeds.
    and yes, IMO, you have a half sheltie, half collie, but 100% cute and lovable.
    and welcome !

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree -- you are
    welcome here -- and you have a Shollie!!!! :biggrin2:

9. MisfitBrian

MisfitBrian Forums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008
    Little Elm, Tx
    Sure it's not a Celtie?:biggrin2:

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I'd go out out on a limb and suggest the daddy might be a sheltie-collie mix as well. he didn't have much of a facial stop and is on the big size.

But they are all nice looking dogs and welcome!