Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Giving ears

Discussion in 'Handling Techniques' started by Bradt9881, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Just wanted to pass this along. Fletcher isn't the fondest of showing, although he has made a huge improvement since he was a puppy. One of the things that I think has held him back from a couple of wins was his lack of showing ears to the judge. A breeder friend of mine suggested I start tossing him popcorn for treats to get him to put his ears up. It's definitely working at home, but we will have to see how it carries forward at his next show 10-11 Oct. I just wanted to post this trick in case anyone else wants to try the technique.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Just saying . . . worth a try for those of us planning on the CGC who have dogs that might be hesitant with the ear handling.

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I teach the command "ears" to get my dogs ears up. All you do is pair it with the food toss or just cupture it with a clicker so then all you need to do is say "ears" and the ears go up.

Very useful for showing or just taking pictures.:smile2: