Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

It never just rains, it pours! :(

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by trini, Jun 28, 2014.

1. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Early this afternoon Dakota (sable merle sheltie boy adopted from Tri-State) and his bonded side kick Dante (black pommie who came with Dakota) were doing zoomies around the yard when suddenly Dante screamed and held up his right back leg, unable to touch it down and obviously in serious pain. My heart dropped...I knew we probably had an ACL injury. Called our vet hospital to let them know we were on our way in and luckily the same vet (my favorite) who did Mickey's knee surgery last week was there and took Dante in immediately. It is a damaged ACL, badly stretched but not fully torn. The hope is that with 6-8 weeks of rest, anti-inflammatory meds and initial pain meds, the ligament may heal and retighten on it's own without surgery. Dante only weighs 11 pounds and the possibility of self healing is much better in small dogs than in larger ones who get this same level of injury. Dante is back home with me and resting quietly.

So, little Dante has joined Mickey's ranks of controlled lead time when outside and X-pen time inside so he can't move too quickly or get bumped into by our larger shelties. Our vet said that at the end of the 6-8 week period we should know if healing has been successful or if surgery is needed. I am really praying we aren't facing another painful surgery for a little one! :(

Trini

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Oh my gosh - I can't believe this happened to you! Do you at least get some sort of group discount from the vet!

Sure hope the little guy heals quickly.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Ohhhhh booooo. Hope it heals itself!

4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Oh no! Fingers crossed that he heals and doesn't need surgery.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Here are my two invalids...in the last few days Mickey (with E-collar) always choses to lie with the leg that had surgery totally under him...I would think that would hurt more that way but apparently it doesn't. He and Dante have been keeping each other company ever since Dante got home from the vet hospital this afternoon...if doggie love can help with healing they are on the right track. :smile2:

Trini

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  6. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Awwww! They're such little troopers! I'm so sorry to hear about all that's happened. :(

Hugs for all of you from Emmy and me. :hugs

7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    So sorry to hear this:( Poor lil guy! What a bad run of luck with your pack!

8. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Aww, so much cute in such a sad little picture. Poor guy!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  9. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Poor baby! I hope he's better soon WITHOUT the need for surgery. Hugs and prayers sent your way!:hugs

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Thanks everyone. I am really, really, really hoping no surgery too! Now off to bed...it has been an exhausting day to say the least.

Trini