Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Grooming
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:32 AM

Default Undercoat Rake

When brushing Bailey, I've always used a pin brush, slicker brush and a greyhound comb to line brush. The greyhound comb always did a decent job of removing her undercoat.

At agility class last night, my trainer brought an undercoat rake. I decided to try the rake while we were waiting our turn. I couldn't believe the amount of fur that was coming off Bailey...and I just line brushed her the night before!

My trainer actually let me keep the rake. It's a metal-toothed, double rowed rake. She works for the company and has a box full.

I never knew how important an undercoat rake is for a sheltie when shedding. Poor Bailey. She hates being brushed and now I have another "torture" device.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:35 AM

I have a Furminator, but I don't like it so much. I use a pinbrush and a fine comb instead. Works pretty well http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...u/DSC06288.jpg And that is not all of her undercoat...
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take4roll10 View Post
When brushing Bailey, I've always used a pin brush, slicker brush and a greyhound comb to line brush. The greyhound comb always did a decent job of removing her undercoat.

At agility class last night, my trainer brought an undercoat rake. I decided to try the rake while we were waiting our turn. I couldn't believe the amount of fur that was coming off Bailey...and I just line brushed her the night before!

My trainer actually let me keep the rake. It's a metal-toothed, double rowed rake. She works for the company and has a box full.

I never knew how important an undercoat rake is for a sheltie when shedding. Poor Bailey. She hates being brushed and now I have another "torture" device.
Bailey sounds like Mikos, or Mr. Fidget as he is called on the grooming table! I have found that the rake works better for me than the slicker and comb after the pin brushing and seems to speed up the process a bit.

Mikos (1 year)
Brie (7 year)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanku View Post
I have a Furminator, but I don't like it so much. I use a pinbrush and a fine comb instead. Works pretty well http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...u/DSC06288.jpg And that is not all of her undercoat...
whoa! That's a lot of fur! I don't think the furminator is good for shelties. It can strip their top coat.

Since Bailey tries to kill the brush when I groom her, I try not to brush her all at once. I split it up into 2-3 days. She's really shedding right now. I have to vacuum my apartment every morning.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:18 AM

I have rakes here, and I love them, vs. anything else after I brush the two.

We have tumble weeds right now, and jaws the sweeper is really working over-time.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
whoa! That's a lot of fur! I don't think the furminator is good for shelties. It can strip their top coat.

Since Bailey tries to kill the brush when I groom her, I try not to brush her all at once. I split it up into 2-3 days. She's really shedding right now. I have to vacuum my apartment every morning.
Lexi hates being brushed also. I find if I try to brush her on the floor, it's nearly impossible. However, If I put her up on a counter or table she is much better. I like the rake, but the furminator is just too much for us.
Angel (1996-2010)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I had no problem with that I know a lot of people with shelties, japanese spitz and other breeds that uses Furminator without any problem

She gets a bath, then a blowdry and then a proper brushing. Works okey
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:04 PM

I use the rake as well - wouldn't be without it. Wish I had had it for Hamish and Noah and didn't. It makes such a difference in getting out the undercoat.
Aberdale's Unforgettable CGN NTD (Natalie)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:23 PM

I just wanted to chime in and say my two are shedding like crazy right now too...definitely time for a good undercoat grooming!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:52 PM

Until the multiple grooming/brush threads on here- I only used the undercoat rake- I didn't have any of the other brushes. I still use it the most when it's grooming time