Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Winter and Paws

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by k9kreationz, Nov 7, 2013.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I wasn't sure where to put this.

Me and my pups are from SoCal....y'know, where during the dead of the winter it hits 40 degrees, dry. And we moved to Oregon. Where later in the month and in December, they're predicting "light snow" and "flurries". So sad, I had to look up flurries.

My question is....for weather wusses like us, should I put booties on Koji when I take him out? If so, when? When it drops to below 40? When it's wet and hitting low 40's? I'm sure he'll gain a tolerance better next year, but this year, I worry about it freezing his little paws. I have some fleece lined leather Muttlucks (so they're good for big time snow).

There's rarely snow that sticks, so there's no salt on the roads at all, so don't have to worry about that. Just the cold.

Thoughts? I mean, when it's not raining, it's dropping to the high 30's already. Brrr. I wear two coats, long underwear, and a beanie. I must look like I'm crazy. Heck, I wear two coats and a beanie when it's in the 40's. At least I'm not wearing my heavy winter fleecy, pompom beanie yet. LOL.

Yes, I'm a big weather wuss. I need to acclimate (I am, it's just going to take some time).

Thanks for any advice.

2. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Join the club!:rolleyes2: I don't think you need to worry to much about taking them out to go potty, but it would be a good idea to put the boots on while your out for a walk (that sidewalk can get COLD). Yes, we do get cold winters in Texas (it's not hot ALL the time!:wink2:). Last year or the year before I think our low was 13F with a -10F wind chill.

3. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. So you feel a 10 minute walk is okay? Versus a longer one? I wonder if Koji will do anything if it's too cold. I know he walks funny when the ground is too hot.

And trust me, I know all about Texas. LOL. My good friend is from east TX and tells me all about the different weather systems in TX. I'm a forced honorary Cowboy fan and Marine supporter too. Haha.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Yah, I think 10 minutes would be fine. Just whatever they'll tolerate. Some dogs will refuse to go to the bathroom if they don't like the weather (like my girls:rolleyes2:).

Believe me, east TX and west TX weather is a TOTALLY different ball game! For one thing we don't have a lot of trees except for in town to block the cold wind. Where bout does she live?

5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    As is the north and south. I never knew any of that. My friend, a he, lived in some small town, no clue what the name is, can't recall. I just know he tells me when he gets to his his mom's house, he's still 8 hours from the east border. Texas is obviously huge. Just looked a map, I think the big city he grew up closest to was Tyler. That sounds familiar.

6. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I agree with Tab- as long as it's just to potty, he'll be fine. Walks may be a different story. I think it's funny, you move from a warm place to a cold place and I moved from cold to warm. Don't worry, doggies acclimate.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I was worried about the same thing when we moved from SC to OH. The dogs were totally fine! I've found that the only time dogs needs boots for the snow is when there is a ton of salt on the sidewalk. And in that case I just use those little rubber disposable booties (Pawz?)

My dogs have only shown me that their feet were cold once or twice--and that was after long play sessions in the backyard in the deep snow.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    In Pittsburgh we get snow semi-regularly and have to deal with salt and cold temperatures; think single digits - teens before factoring in wind chill.

Personally, if it wasn't for road salt I wouldn't put booties on my dogs at all. I do use the booties to protect the feet from road salt because our salt is often treated so it works in the colder temperatures (normal salt doesn't work below 20 degrees unless it's treated with chemicals).

As for walks when it's cold, it really depends on the temperatures. If we have really bad, dangerous, wind chills (single digit and lower), they are out just long enough to do their business then back into the house. Weather like that isn't good for ME to be out in and if it's not good for me it's not really good for the dogs.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Oh, and the year that we moved to Ohio we vacationed in Quebec in Januuary for their winter carnival. It was freezing. There was tons of snow everywhere and it snowed pretty much the whole time. The dogs were NEVER cold, and we walked everywhere with them.

They only used their little boots for the salty sidewalks.

Attached Files:

10. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    I'm from Indiana, and we get it ALL! There are days in the winter where it is colder where I live than it is in Alaska. Sometimes, we have an issue with a puppy or a very old dog getting cold and just stopping. But with the just a grown ups dog, I've never had an issue. I'm sure his coat will get fuller as he is around more weather. And just remember- this cold wet stuff is what they were originally bred to take. That said, mine still prefer to be inside because they are spoiled and pampered.

On a personal note, I am jealous of anyone who doesn't know what a flurry is.