Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Breed Handling > The Sheltie Standard
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

Reply
View First Unread View First Unread  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 22, 2009, 06:04 PM
Sheltie4Life Sheltie4Life is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 55
Default Sheltie Weight Chart

Hi,
I was just wondering if there was some sort of chart or something that can tell you the average Sheltie birth weight. And how the average weight should be as they progress, so you can tell if its a rather small pup or a rather large pup. I am not a breeder or anything just wanna learn a lot more about Sheltie breeding because when I get older I want to become breeder and agility and possibly show them. Or maybe all. :) And if you guys have any other personal experience with basically anything about breeding, whelping, weaning, puppy care ect. I think that I have possibly read everything about breeding but you can never learn too much. :D
Ohh and I'm only 15 but I love Shelties with a passion and know that they will always be in my life, so I wanna learn as much as I can.
Thank you guys!
__________________
You are the reason my heart beats..<3
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old May 22, 2009, 07:08 PM
BarbV's Avatar
BarbV BarbV is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,820
Default

Hi

Here is the link that we've floated around the forum before. It's not absolute because you do need to take into consideration other factors.

For instance, by two 1 year olds are both the same height at the whithers, give or take. But Bacca is long in neck, longer in body, bigger bones and weighs about 6 pounds more than Indy.

And both of them are oversize - just over 16 inches, I think, but I don't have the means to measure them accurately.

I think it's terrific that you've found a "hobby" in Shelties! They are fantastic dogs. For lots and lots on Shelties, check out GeeRome's website. It's overflowing with info

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html

http://sheltie-hair.blogspot.com/200...-with-box.html
__________________
Barb and "The Boys"
Indy The Devil dog!
Callan The Puppy
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
Sheltie4Life Sheltie4Life is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 55
Default

Thank you so much for the links! :D I've got some reading to do.
__________________
You are the reason my heart beats..<3
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 22, 2009, 07:43 PM
Lightplum Lightplum is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,032
Default

Thats a great idea...I know I have one who is on the smaller side, she is just over 13 1/4" I actually kept a very accurate weight/height chart detail on her and recently Some other breeders in my area have taken my chart to compare to their small ones...Unfortuantly I was not that detailed on my 14 1/2 girl. I do have height/weights but its much more sparse. And interesting enough my 14 1/2 ended up growing more than 1/2" after the age of 9 months.

The chart for the site barb sent you is also the sheltie bible for growing them out!! :)

Im not sure what part of the country you are in but I may suggest going to local shows and talking to breeders/handlers there, See if anyone is interested in becoming a mentor to you. I know if they are a bigger breeder/shower they look for kennel help in the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:08 PM
rnxw rnxw is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 21
Default

Thanks for the website!
I was looking for something similar, just a question though, the measurements, are they shoulder height?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jun 9, 2009, 09:04 AM
Lightplum Lightplum is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnxw View Post
Thanks for the website!
I was looking for something similar, just a question though, the measurements, are they shoulder height?

Thanks
Yes height is at the whiters (shoulders).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:27 AM
Narmowen Narmowen is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Snowy Michigan!
Posts: 715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnxw View Post
Thanks for the website!
I was looking for something similar, just a question though, the measurements, are they shoulder height?

Thanks
Yep. If you feel right between the shoulderblades, you'll feel a small hallow, and that's right you want to be. Right on top of the withers, not before (that would be up on their neck) or right after. Make sure that the puppy is relaxed to get a good measurement, because being tense can make them taller than their true height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightplum View Post
Thats a great idea...I know I have one who is on the smaller side, she is just over 13 1/4" I actually kept a very accurate weight/height chart detail on her and recently Some other breeders in my area have taken my chart to compare to their small ones...Unfortuantly I was not that detailed on my 14 1/2 girl. I do have height/weights but its much more sparse. And interesting enough my 14 1/2 ended up growing more than 1/2" after the age of 9 months.

The chart for the site barb sent you is also the sheltie bible for growing them out!! :)

Im not sure what part of the country you are in but I may suggest going to local shows and talking to breeders/handlers there, See if anyone is interested in becoming a mentor to you. I know if they are a bigger breeder/shower they look for kennel help in the summer.
I keep a detailed height/weight for every puppy I have, just to estimate how big they're going to be.

I've seen many champions be oversized, but they got their Ch right around 6 months and they weren't done growing. My Luke grew up until his first birthday (slow maturerers!)

My males (and females, but not as much) will "sink" at around 3 to 4 years, 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, as their chest widens.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:57 AM
Lightplum Lightplum is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narmowen View Post
Yep. If you feel right between the shoulderblades, you'll feel a small hallow, and that's right you want to be. Right on top of the withers, not before (that would be up on their neck) or right after. Make sure that the puppy is relaxed to get a good measurement, because being tense can make them taller than their true height.



I keep a detailed height/weight for every puppy I have, just to estimate how big they're going to be.

I've seen many champions be oversized, but they got their Ch right around 6 months and they weren't done growing. My Luke grew up until his first birthday (slow maturerers!)

My males (and females, but not as much) will "sink" at around 3 to 4 years, 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, as their chest widens.

Yes my girl who grew over the 1/2" was/is slow maturing. At 4 she is just starting to come into herself now. Its funny the breeder told me some of hers dont look really good until 7...lol...I got one of those apparently she will be showing in the veterans classes Ohhh well Ive always said I like mine that mature and look better each year than some of these that are making CH at under a year and fall apart and dont look as good as time goes on. You are correct with the oversized CH making at 6 months. The bigger breeders who know they are at the top or over the gray and they look good send them out with prof handlers to get them done before they size out! I dont think that is an asset to the breed either. Just because they have that CH in front of their name isnt a green light to breed JMHO..I actually bred last year to a male that was not a CH and hasnt been shown but man oh man was he one stunning dog in person...better than some of the CH around here ive seen
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:01 PM
Narmowen Narmowen is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Snowy Michigan!
Posts: 715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightplum View Post
Yes my girl who grew over the 1/2" was/is slow maturing. At 4 she is just starting to come into herself now. Its funny the breeder told me some of hers dont look really good until 7...lol...I got one of those apparently she will be showing in the veterans classes Ohhh well Ive always said I like mine that mature and look better each year than some of these that are making CH at under a year and fall apart and dont look as good as time goes on. You are correct with the oversized CH making at 6 months. The bigger breeders who know they are at the top or over the gray and they look good send them out with prof handlers to get them done before they size out! I dont think that is an asset to the breed either. Just because they have that CH in front of their name isnt a green light to breed JMHO..I actually bred last year to a male that was not a CH and hasnt been shown but man oh man was he one stunning dog in person...better than some of the CH around here ive seen
Most of the time, I don't care whether a dog has a Ch in front of the name or not. I've seen gorgeous dogs without it (since Luke is damn near my ideal Sheltie, and he's never been shown in the breed ring, and probably won't be), and some damn ugly dogs with it!

I'm sure that you've seen those Ch with missing teeth, messed up heads, messed up legs etc...onces that make you wonder what the judge was smoking when he gave that dog something...

Harry Potter didn't look like an adult until he was four, but his daddy looked like an adult at 1 year! (Full coat, everything!)

Strange to see what you see in the Sheltie world!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.