Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lead splitter?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Miss, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Miss

Miss Forums Regular

Nov 9, 2013
    Australia
    Hi everyone,

We have started teaching Jacks to walk on a lead and he is learning very well, no real pulling , stops to sniff etc I have also started walking him with his sister using one of those lead splitters? So you can walk both on one lead? Tuppence is fully lead trained (she's 2) and he has been walking better than ever with her, however, will this ruin the work that I have done with him on the single lead on his own? Should I wait to use the splitter until he is fully trained on the lead? Or alternate between the two?

2. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    I would walk them together. I had a very hard time getting Lexi not to pull on leash...ended up using a gentle lead. However, when I got Pyper and began walking them together, because Lexi was trained, by then, not to pull, I never had a single moment of trouble with Pyper pulling. I think they can learn from each other.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I have one but I only use it in a congested area where I want them to stay close and we aren't going to walk around. To me they are too restrictive because they don't really allow a dog the independence to sniff. Some of them are really very short and very restrictive and the more flexible ones are heavy. You need to have them on a harness to work best, on a collar they are really difficult on small dogs.

Unless you are running your dog, just a straight walk won't really tire a sheepdog out. But letting your dog sniff around helps stimulate the brain and the walk becomes more mentally stimulating. With a young dog in particular I think it's really important for them to get to know their neighbourhood and the scents and smells of other dogs within it. His and Tuppence's interests are unlikely to completely coincide. Honestly, if you want them to walk close at any time just tie their leads together halfway down or more. You'll save yourself money and it gives you the flexibility of untying them.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I love the lead splitter.

Bacca has a tendency to just lag, Indy likes to rush on. I used to find myself hold him back while draggin Bacca along behind us. The lead splitter forces them to work it out. They now pace themselves better, and no more tangled leads!

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I always walk two together, but instead of using a end of the lead splitter, I use a Pet Walker Plus. This has two 4' sections that attach to a swivel handle. This gives each dog room to move and not be rubbing sides, the swivel keeps them from ever getting their sections of lead tangled, but I am holding on to just one lead handle. All three of my current shelties are oversize for the breed and the short splitters would keep them literally held right against each other.

Trini

6. Miss

Miss Forums Regular

Nov 9, 2013
    Australia
    Hey all :)

I tried to walk my guys today without the lead splitter, not so good:0 Jacks was all over the shop! We ended up in a big twisted mess! It's a pretty busy road and jacks walks well on the splitter , so I think I will stick to that until he is fully immunised and old enough for advantix, then I can take them to the dog parks and bush tracks and practice safely:)