Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

About What Age Did Your Pup Mellow out?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by MissieLynn, Jan 29, 2014.

1. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Hi fellow Sheltie friends. :biggrin2: I was just wondering about what age your Shelties mellowed out? Emmy will be 9 months next week, and is still as feisty and mischievous as ever, with boundless energy despite plenty of exercise.

She has finally (about two weeks ago) started to take very short naps outside of her crate (as opposed to having to be crated for naps when she'd get overtired), but she still has a hard time settling down while I read a book, watch TV, etc. She would rather play with me (which she often does...) or if nobody will pay attention to her, get into mischief (like chewing up the carpeting, even though she was just a few feet away from me :eek2:).

So I'm looking for a little bit of hope here. :lol: I remember my first Sheltie, Jenna, was pretty laid back at 7 months, but I'm wondering if she was the exception and not the rule.

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Missy started to mellow out like you described, where she didn't need to have "time outs", around 10-11 months. She's 2 now and has gotten much better. She definitely doesn't actively look for something to get into. She still has her moments where she goes a little stir crazy. I can always tell when she's bored and needs to go for a walk when she starts messing with the cat! I know some dogs can take much longer to calm down.

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Of the 4 shelties I got as pups, rather than adult rescues, one was mellow from the getgo, two mellowed out by a year...but my last pup, Faelee, is 3 years old and she still is a total hellion...even though she is from the same lines as my other pups were.

Trini

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Hollie was always a pretty active dog. She would settle at night but I don't think she started slowing down until she was about 10. She was always up for playing frisbee non stop.

Shelby started to settle around a year old. Much sooner than Hollie did. She is now 3 and is no longer looking for trouble when she is bored. You can definitely tell when she has been cooped up. She just drives you nuts pacing and crying. But usually around 8 every night she is settled down sleeping somewhere. I have to wake her up at 10 to take her out.

5. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    So long as she's had a good play session, especially now that it's so cold we're not getting outdoors for much more than 10-15 minutes at a time - Hanna is pretty good to settle down nearby. She's not quite 9 months.

I will say that mellow/laid back was very much her personality when I chose her. Her remaining litter mate (the one I thought I was going to be bringing home) was just non stop action. They are all so different.

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Layla was born mellow.

7. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Lexi is 6 years old and I'm still waiting....

Pyper, born mellow.

8. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    Yep, Meadow just turned 6 and we're still waiting too, but we are starting to think this is just how it will always be.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Bentley, born mellow. Really started to get a little more affectionate around 3 years old (though I think Lexi taught him that!)

Lexi mellowed a bit around 15 months old, and then significantly so at 3 years. When she was a puppy she never slowed down, and had to be crated for her to take breaks (we said we were putting her down for a nap!) At about 3 she decided she absolutely adored my husband and I (mostly me!) and as long as she gets a little exercise/training, she is on my lap napping when we're home.

Yes, she's still my crazy girl and a bit of a brat, but she is still very snuggly and affectionate--something I wouldn't have expected when we brought her home.

10. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    My dog was a wild-woman as a puppy. Had to be forced to take naps & was always on the go. Didn't have a laid back bone in her body. She started to calm down a little bit around a year old. She didn't need to be crated to take naps, but still had plenty of energy and was always looking to play.

This year (she is 4 now), I started to notice her becoming a little more mellow. If I don't give her attention, she will lay down instead of looking for trouble. She is still very playful and energetic, but after a nice 30 minute walk, she will sleep on her own for a few hours. Yet at the same time, she will be at an agility trial all day and then come home and run straight to her toy box to take out a ball. :rolleyes2:

Good luck!