Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Air Force Dryer

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by orcaluvur, Feb 15, 2014.

1. orcaluvur

orcaluvur Forums Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    Gainesville, GA
    I am considering buying a force dryer. I know people who use a 4.0 HP Metro force dryer but that $170 something on amazon that has a dual power setting. They also sell a 1.8 HP for $90.

I was wondering if any one think that the 1.8 HP would be fine? I have use the 4.0 HP dryer of my friends on the low setting and i wasnt sure if the low setting was comparable to half the HP??

Any thoughts?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    If they are as they were years ago, the cheapy one does not have heat, it is just cold blowing. Might be worth double checking if there is any heat setting (if you use that) on that model.

I got one once for the Persians I showed but returned it when I found out there was no heat. I was going for drying and fluffing so it did not help me. I always hand dry with low heat all my animals (meaning no crate blowing and no purely cold blowing).

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    The forced dryers do not have heat, or atleast the metro and the CC ones do not. I have a 2 speed metro one that ive had about 10 years now. Still going strong however I secretly want the cc Kool dryer its super quiet and can adjust the speed by a dial...which would make drying puppies much easier..But until the metro dies i'll keep using what Ive got.

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    What do you want to do?

If you want to blow water out of the hair at high speed, knotting up the hair in the process, get high speed dryer, a Metro dryer or similar.

If you want to dry the dog in an organized way, making a nice smooth show coat, you need a high volume, lower speed dryer like the Speedy dryers.

I have a Metro handheld to knock water off, and a speedy to blow through, dry, and straighten the coat.

5. orcaluvur

orcaluvur Forums Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    Gainesville, GA
    Im wanting to blow the water out of the coat. My uncle suggested purchasing a new shop vac that i can change the hose around to blow. Of course it wont be as good as a metro force dryer but i dont think i can afford the $170 for the 4 hp one on amazon. I also want it to fluff the coat a bit.

What does everyone think?

Does anyone know anywhere i could get a discounted or used metro force dryer? I would rather have it than use shop vac, but i am comsidering going to get a shopvac tomorrow and seeing the power it as. If it is terrible i can return it and get a metrk force dryer...

6. orcaluvur

orcaluvur Forums Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    Gainesville, GA
  7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I have this one that I bought used. It is no good for ANYTHING but blowing water out of the coat.

Actually, a shop vac isn't a bad idea. It's fundamentally the same thing, and it's probably not as high speed, which is actually a good thing.

8. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Really ive never had the problem of knotting the fur, are you brushing it as you are drying? Or just randomly blowing the fur everywhere? Because I could see that method as knotting it..

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have not had the issue either. I did at first with Justices' mane because I was waving it back and forth and the cone nozzle concrentrates the blast too much. The fan nozzle and holding it still more solved the issue. I brush as needed. I have not had any issue with anyone else but Justice was the first sheltie I had. My dryer is the smaller 2 speed metro and it is now 11 yrs old and going strong. I got it for 100 dollars.

Rachel has a K-9 II in has 2 motors but 1 on low speed is enough for the shelties. She has a malamute. Blowing out a Mal is like being inside a snow globe.:smile2:

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    DH has asked for an Air Force dryer for HIMSELF for his next birthday! So the Shelties will get to use it, too!! :lol: