Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

R and E dogs

Discussion in 'Agility' started by SheltieChe, Feb 18, 2014.

1. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I read this on the original blog a few months back--very interesting.

I have one of each. Bentley fits the R mold. First dog, doesn't want to make a mistake, etc. To this day if I run him (I'm not accustomed to it anymore), we're much more likely to get an R.

Lexi is an E. She is more obstacle focused, drivey, and if I don't tell her what to do, she chooses for me and is confident she's right! :biggrin2:

3. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Most of mine are E dogs. I have one R dog and she is not nearly as much fun to run. Some started out R dogs, but was able to create E dogs over time.

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Justice and Ember are Rs. I am sure Justice would be an E if I had had a clue about what I was doing. He is amazingly confident in himself and absolutely trusting of medespite how he was handled and trained. Ember is the dog that taught me I had better change my ways or nothing was going to come from training her. Ember will need be an E but she is less of an R than she used to be.

Diva and especially Birch are E dogs. Diva was a rogue missile as a young dog. She drove me crazy as I couldn't control her. I was told to slow her down. My response was to change instructors. Best thing I every did or I would have made another R dog. Birch trained differently from day 1. Birch thinks(no knows) he is a Champion. Now if I can uphold my end of the team. E dogs are much more fun to run.

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    am curious what was your solution to create E dogs over time?

6. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Building confidence. Confidence and obstacle focus. An obstacle focused dog with a lot of confidence is more likely to drive to obstacles and not stay close and watch the handler as much. I always want my dogs to think they are right and not be questioning.
    Ideally they will eventually be balanced, but would rather have to rein in an obstacle focused confident dog by training a bit more handler focus than have a slow dog too busy staring at me and pulling off too easily because either I have taught it that or it is unsure.

7. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Honey is very much an R dog. I have to be right there with her or I hear about it. She also doesn't like turns and will NQ me if I try to turn her. Talk about having to run the outside sometimes to please a sheltie...

Ruutu is a mix of both. He definitely runs E a lot more than R, but I think that's just the puppy in him still. Occasionally he'll run R, especially in the weave poles since he's still learning them. I gotta work on saying my cues faster for him though... I'm used to Honey way too much :confused2:

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    My dog started out as an R dog, but every class and every trial, her confidence grows more and more. With that confidence came a faster more obstacle focused dog. She is becoming an E dog.

9. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    One of each here as well Cosmo is definitely an R dog and Stormy's definitely an E dog. Teaching Cosmo to Get Out and Go on was a real chore, with storm Go On is definitely not an issue although GET OUT can still be at times, I always have to worry about Off course dummy jumps with her and be right on it or it's too late.

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    This has turned into an interesting thread--definitely makes me think. I guess I never considered that a dog could transition from one to the other or even be a bit of both. Since my dogs fit so squarely into each category, it's hard to imagine :)