Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hairballs ???

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by roxyllsk, Mar 24, 2014.

1. roxyllsk

roxyllsk Forums Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I have a 2 year old bi-black and a 4 month old blue merle. The older boy (Romeo) loves playing with his little sister and is super tolerant and very good with her. The puppy (Juliet) is a fiesty little thing and loves to play. They play constantly when she is not crated and really have a blast.

The problem that I am having is that Juliet loves to pull and eat Romeo's hair, and I think it's upsetting her tummy. She pooped out a fairly big glob of hair last night and has has loose poops since then. She is fine in every other way, playing happily and energetically, eating and drinking, peeing. Her poop is sloppy, like soft service ice cream. I am giving her some pepto and pumpkin to help sooth things.

I plan on calling the vet when they open later today and asking them. BUT any suggestions to remedy this situation ? I suspect the hairballs are irritating her bowels a bit. Romeo is shedding and I do brush him 2x a day when he does, and vacuum the house quite a bit too. I would really hate to keep them apart as they do enjoy playing together so much.

Edited to add: Romeo has pretty long hair for a shelite, and he has no matts or tangles. So she's not getting matts out of him. Just mouthfuls of hair here and there !

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My shepherd does the same thing to my sheltie. My cats do the same thing with the shepherd.

I tell the shepherd NO BITE whenever he starts that. The cat, well, have at it. I have a steam cleaner

3. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    For the diarrhea, try feeding her a chicken and rice mixture. That always helps upset tummies here. For the hair balls, when you find an answer to that one let me know!:wink2: