Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Barn Hunt?!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by 2GoodDogs, Mar 26, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    A friend brags that her sheltie is now titled in Barn Hunt. The classes around here are full!

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Really? I get the feeling you guys will title anything over there!

3. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Caro, if the AKC can make a buck out of it, they will!!!:cool:

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I bet the rats don't think it is quite so fun!

6. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I've gotta say, I have had very little dealing with the AKC, but what little I have had has left me less than pleased.

7. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    You are sooooo right. The AKC is about making $$$$...:wink2:

8. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    I think even worse that Barn Hunt is Lure Coursing. I went to one event. Lure coursing requires nothing of the handler and everything of the dog. Of course, many dogs love chasing the lure, but I don't think the owners are concerned enough about the condition of their dogs. The dogs have to chase the lure 300 feet. They are obsessed by the lure and will chase no matter what. That is an ambitious undertaking if the dog is not in very good physical shape. I think this opens the dogs to injuries or exhaustion...

I'm not a fan!

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I am all for people engaging in activities with the family dog! It is how I got started and led me to a world of information about dogs that I would not have otherwise knew existed. Every one in dog sports starts somewhere! The local dog supply store started her mix with doc diving and is now on the Purina incredible dog team. Not bad!

About the AKC making a buck, I don't begrudge then. The world has changed and will be changing still... Registration income is down and they are making good efforts to clean up the registry, I am delighted that the will allow mixed mutts to compete in companion events and why not have some events that are about the dogs abilities instead of handlers ?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  10. sarasomething

sarasomething Forums Enthusiast

May 24, 2011
    fl
    i am all for dog sports, but it sounds like they use live rats for this event, and i find that troubling... what happens to the rats after the event is over?