Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

enlarged heart and collapsing trachea

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by thebeecharmer, Apr 13, 2014.

1. thebeecharmer

thebeecharmer Forums Novice

Apr 13, 2014
    Durham NC
    hello everyone.
    my little boy D'Artagnan 15 and 1/2 years old, has been diagnosed with an enlarged heart and collapsing trachea. He is currently on several medications to help. They seem to be working ok. Here in NC we are in the beginning of a very tough pollen season. He has started to have an even harder time breathing.

Is there something I can give him to help.?

thanks a bunch.

sheltie hugs
    Donna

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Donna, welcome to you and your little lad.

We have had several pommies with the same combination of issues (heart/trachea) and during both hot weather and heavy pollen weather we have kept them inside in an air conditioned room as much as possible. As you know it is so important to keep them from coughing with that collapsing trachea. There is a shot that can be given by your vet that very effectively inhibits coughing for at least a week per shot...which is much longer than any dose of oral anti-cough meds does. Our Timmy Timbit (who has a collapsing trachea) got that shot when he had an endoscopy recently because any tube down his throat always leaves him with days of really bad coughing. You might ask your vet about this...if I remember correctly it was called Dexamethasone...it worked super well and for Timmy Timbit's weight (15 lbs) the shot only cost $10.50...so it is not ultra expensive. Timmy didn't cough once during the week post shot!

Good wishes for your little D'Artagnan....getting to 15 1/2 is quite an accomplishment.

Trini

3. thebeecharmer

thebeecharmer Forums Novice

Apr 13, 2014
    Durham NC
    thank you

was planning to call my vet today.

he is for sure a little trooper.

D'Artagnan and Donna

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    May his sunset days be comfortable and joyful.

5. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Our very best to your fur pal. May he have many great days ahead of him.

6. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Hello Donna and D'Artagnan, welcome to Sheltie Nation. What a wonderful testament to your "mommyhood", that your furbaby has reached such a golden age. Sending your thoughts and prayers for a successful solution to his breathing issues. :fl