Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Funny Questions about Shelties

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Jess041, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I have to share this story because it really cracked me up. I took Missy to the dog park last night to run some energy off, and she was playing with this little lab mix puppy. I was talking to the owner of the puppy just about general dog stuff and puppies. She asked me how old Missy was, so I said "2". Then she asked very quietly and sincerely like she didn't want to her my feelings, "Why is she so small?" I was thrown off by this question because it was obvious this lady thought something was wrong with Missy. I explained she was a Sheltie, and that's what size they are, sometimes they're smaller, sometimes they're a little bigger, etc.

Missy is 16.5" and 25lbs, so I don't consider her small, but I guess to other people with much larger dogs, she's very tiny! I figured the lady must have thought Missy was a border collie who was really small, or she had some sort of dwarfism, but I really have no idea because I didn't ask. I told the story to my co-workers and they came up with some answers I could have said if I wanted to mess with her. Obviously these are just jokes, and I would never ever do these things to my dog.

1. I sent her to a lab in California and they used a shrink ray on her.
    2. The vet gave her a shot when she was a puppy that made her stop growing.
    3. I accidentally washed and dried her on "hot".

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Funny! I have such a hard time believing THAT many people don't know about shelties vs collies. Now some of the crazy colors might be different and confusing, but I am amazed how much people don't know.

AND there is the elephant in the room they ALL want to ask about shelities . . . right? Um, all shelties are crazy right? I wanna just say, "Yes, so don't get too close!". But I don't because we want to be ambassadors.

Of course, I still reel from the comments I get to my face or behind my back with my tail-less shepherd. A kid in tears that I hurt the doggie and not satisfied until I explained that God made him that way and God is happy he has a cute short tail, someone whispering to a friend behind my back "How could that person CUT that dog's tail? What's wrong with her?"

Wait til I take all three out. Cubby is colored somewhat like Shay but clealy Melli's breed. People likely will think I am horrible for breeding the two (which I didn't!!!) Sigh.

At least your lady was polite.

3. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Haha! I like your responses! :lol:

There was a couple once that I met at the park who stopped to pet Emmy. The man asked "Is that a collie?" the woman he's with quickly said, "Oh, that's a Sheltie." I was pleasantly surprised and said "Yes, she is!" Then she said "I know all about them. I used to have one." The man then asked "What's the difference between a Sheltie and a Collie?" Before I could answer, the know-it-all woman responded with "Not much! You can tell she's a Sheltie because her ears are back. That's about it."

I'm like, whaaaat?? :gaah

4. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Because bi-blues are not that common around where I live, and because of Trace's size (BIG), people were always guessing that he was an Aussie. And I would explain that he was a Sheltie, just large & didn’t resemble Lassie. So, I was looking forward to actually owning a Sheltie that people would recognize. Well…in the vet’s waiting room on Monday I was holding little 8-week old Baker & a guy asked me if he was a mini Border Collie. He left, then the client that had been in with the vet came out with her Cocker, complimented on Baker’s cuteness & also asked if he was a Border Collie. Seriously???

Maybe I should change his name to "Sheltie" to give people a hint?

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    in public, always wear a shirt with a sheltie picture of some kind and the word sheltie written on it:winkgrin:

6. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Not everyone is clueless. I once had Dickens in the front seat of my truck, parked, when a woman knocked on the door and asked, "is that a Sheltie, or a small Collie?" Others have known right away he was a Sheltie. Then there are those who don't get it, to matter how many times you explain. You tell them it's a Sheltie; they give you a blank look, and then go right on spouting off about Collies, harder than ever.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    very true- not everyone is clueless.

our practice area is behind a grooming/boarding business so not readily visible to the street. one evening, I had finished practicing with Cran and Dix and was walking them across the grass to the parking lot. next thing I know as I put one of them in the car and go around to the other side with the other dog, a car pulls up and a lady jumps out. are those shelties? can I pet her? seems she was visiting and missing her sheltie and willing to make her friend pull into a parking lot so she could talk to some stranger with shelties.........

8. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    I had a fun experience a couple years ago. Our All Breed Obedience Club had a booth at the Pet Expo in Orange County, CA. I was there with Lexi and Pyper and another member had her collie with her. We spent most of the day educating anyone who was interested about the difference between shelties and collies.

9. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    She is huge compared to Spitfire :lol: He gets accused of being a girl quite regular which makes it nice that he cannot talk as I doubt his replies would be fit for polite conversation.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Really a sable got the Border Collie comment. I never got that until Celtic.

Went to Petsmart yesterday 5 different people asked me if he was a border collie. Actually I was not surprised he is getting legs and looks like a border collie. :smile2: