Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

do yor dogs like the water

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Pack leader, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Pack leader

Pack leader Forums Regular

Jul 21, 2014
    Indiana
  2. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Oh my goodness!! He's adorable swimming around in the pool!! Watson won't even put his toes in a puddle, I can only imagine the horror of a pool!

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Too darn cute!

Blue is down right adorable!!
    What a great way for him to get exercise!

Looks like he is having a blast too!!!!

My boys will not go near water...

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Shay digs in mud. Melli will go up to the belly but can swim. Cubby -- untried.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I haven't taken Missy to where she couldn't touch the bottom, but she does like playing in the water and would probably swim if I threw a toy out.

6. Justme

Justme Forums Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yikes! My boy wouldn't even step in a 1/4" deep puddle. He would carefully study it, and then gingerly tiptoe around it.

7. windy

windy Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    The first time I took Blithe to 'camp' at Club Mutt at his vet's I asked the attendant if he went in the wading pool. She said that he watched the other dogs in it and looked like he was saying "What are you guys doing in there? Are you crazy?"

He even runs in the house when he sees me heading for the hose in the yard when I'm watering the plants. What a wimp!

8. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    When Missy was a puppy, she would watch the dogs cool off in the baby pools at the dog park. I think she also thought, "those dogs are crazy!"
    But when it started getting hotter and hotter outside, she started putting her feet in the pool, which led to her laying down in it. She likes getting her belly wet because it helps her cool off. Now she'll get in the pool even if it's 50 degrees outside.

At our agility class they started filling up a baby pool off to the side for dogs to cool off. It's frustrating because I'll be working with Missy and she'll take it upon herself to walk off and go get in the pool. It's not the best habit. But I think I can probably twist it so she gets to go to the pool as a reward for working with me. I just have to keep her from wandering over without my permission.

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Justus is more a wader than a swimmer. at the river, he has gone off the rock and went under a few times, now he's very cautious!

I am sure though, if I could find a sandy beach he would come in the water at my beckoning and we could get some swim action....

This Saturday we have a sheltie meeting at a dog pool! I plan to put a floatie thing on him and he will go swimming :)

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    None of mine have "naturally" liked water...but I have found that by putting just a very small amount of water into a little wading pool or in a puddle after a rain storm and placing chunks of cheese in the water they will brave the water to get to the cheese. Once they are no longer hesitant to walk into 1/2" of water, I up the water level by 1/2" at a time until they are happily bubble fishing for cheese in several inches of water. This doesn't automatically translate into loving to swim, but it does eradicate their fear of water.

Trini