Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Enough is enough

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Pack leader, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Pack leader

Pack leader Forums Regular

Jul 21, 2014
    Indiana
    :confused2:How many fur babies is enough? I guess 3! Told the GF I was getting another one and WOW!!! Not pretty!! I told her Bear & Blue needed a criptic blue sister but apparently I have enough.

2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Three is what I want. The rainbow... black, blue and brown... :) Working on it.
    :wink2:

I don't have any human relationships at risk. :D

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We have three -- GSD mix, black tri sheltie, shaded sable sheltie.

Husband spends thousands and thousands on the G-scale train hobby -- he had to give me SOMETHING in return.

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    The two guys are plenty for me but then I know a couple of people with more. Now if you are talking cats then anything more than three pushes you into the crazy cat lady zone (Sca made me type that)

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I say the dog limit is different for every household. For me, bringing home another dog depends on my finances, my availability and the behavior of my current dog(s).

I have one dog right now and I think it is going to stay that way for a long time. My dog has some behavior issues like barking and reactivity. I have been working on this since day 1. It requires life-long training. I know her behavior would influence a 2nd dog and I can't handle two like her. I also train and compete in agility with my dog and I don't think I have the time or money to train two dogs.

However, 15 years from now, my dog will sadly have crossed the bridge, so I'll prob have another dog with a different temperament. Then maybe having 2 or even 3 is a possibility.

I've watched my parents two dogs for a week and along with my dog made 3. I felt overwhelmed with 3. Maybe if I had help from someone else, it wouldn't have been so bad, but for just me, I felt 3 was one too many. But again, maybe 3 dogs with easy-going temperaments would've been easier, so really depends on the dogs and your household. My 3 all ate different food, different medications, went to the bathroom at different times, my dog would bark at my parents' dogs, they had to be separated at meal times, one of the dogs had to be persuaded to eat... You get the idea.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    As has been said, it depends on the household, it depends on the dogs. I have three. Had I do it again, I am not sure I would have three, even though I love them all dearly. Mine are fairly young - two are four and one is three. I work full time and have health issues the preclude agility, etc. If my Mom was alive, I would only have one. I could not say no however when the breeder, a really good friend, offered me Liam and then contacted me out of the blue to offer me Natalie at 9 months because she was wanting to concentrate on her sable line rather than the tris.

It is wise to stay with what you have. Your dogs are young are they not? You don't want them all the same age. You have to look into the future - medical conditions, vet bills for them, etc.

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I have six, and it's three too many.

13 years old - Just got her in May from a friend not able to care for her dogs anymore. The dog has metastacized osteosarcoma, so is on a shortened timeline.
    10 years old - Oldest kid of above dog, retired from all but a couple of jumpers runs a year.
    9 years old - Collie. Would love to place her, but she refuses to go anywhere.
    6 years old - Active trial dog.
    6 years old - Active trial dog. Needs one MX leg, going to my best friend for a trial run tonight. If it works, he'll stay with her except when I want to run him.
    1 year old - Active herding dog in training.

Travelwise, this is a nightmare. I'm going out of country next month, and the work involved in getting all the dogs places is just too much. Three would be an excellent number.

8. Pack leader

Jul 21, 2014
    Indiana
    good point!! Yes they are still young 10 & 16 weeks. I also run a doggie day care of sorts so they normally have plenty of buddy's to play with

9. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    We have 3. We lost one in June but had already agreed to adopt another before Casey went to the bridge.

They are 12, 10 and the new one is 7. All are rescues, all have some type of health problem. Although the newest one, Rogue, only has a low thyroid at this time and kennel cough.

BUT we've already spent $1000 on Rogue just making sure his kennel cough is in fact just that. xrays and so forth can be costly.

10. Pack leader

Jul 21, 2014
    Indiana
    hats off to you and all who rescue the ones in need. Sorry about your loss of cassey. I lost brandy my first girl last october.