Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

seriously doubting my ability to dog parent

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Junebug, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    So, over the last week, my 9 month old sheltie has eaten 2 things one ought not eat if one wants to stay out of a vet's office. One he did on a friday night, just to make the weekend (with family visiting from out of state, no less) more exciting.

I'll preface this to say that all ended well, "everything came out in the end".

1st item: The belt off of a silk bathrobe. I discovered it missing, but had no real proof he ate it. He was unsupervised for a total of 5-10 minutes. Vet office I called stated that it could pass. Or he might vomit it. But it probably wouldn't show up on xray, being that it was silk. Or maybe I just lost it, and he didn't eat it. So we waited. In the end, smaller bits showed up in his poop within a day. SUnday AM he puked up the larger part. He never went off his food or acted off in any way. Monday AM, just for fun, the rest came out.

2nd item: I left to go to a dental appointment Monday after his walk. I was getting two fillings, so this wasn't my best day. Many hours after I returned home, my 6 year old told me "mom, while I was outside Lars ate my breakfast. It was a plum. Sorry." AKK! a plum pit? Immediate call to the vet. Well, he suggests, we could make him vomit. But it's been enough hours we probably won't get it up. It could pass. He might vomit it up. It might cause a problem. In the end, he suggested I bulk up his food with canned veggies, and watch for it. That was monday. He's been fine, eating, pooping, playing. Today, while we were out, a plum pit mysteriously appeared on the floor of his xpen.

Thank goodness. Perhaps I can relax for awhile.

2. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    In the last week my 2 YEAR OLD has ate a purse strap and destroyed a box clicker. I had to make her throw up twice!!!!

3. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I think it is safe to say, we've all had weeks like that. At one point Honey seemed to be in the garbage every other day.

"Did you know those yummy freeze dried shrimp the kitties don't like were in the garbage?!? Don't worry I got it out of that shiny stuff it was wrapped in and ate them for you!" Tin foil...Hair Ties...Chicken Bones (so many chicken bones!(Apartment neighbors would throw their garbage into the bushes instead of walking it dump))

I'm glad to hear it all passed without a problem. My sister laughs at me because I always check out Honey's poop, just to make sure she's not sneaking anything past me. A clean sheltie poop makes me a happy girl.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Ah, Cubby is enthralled with eating dirt.

My Aussie Quasar was horrible. He once ate 2 weeks worth of vitamins and part of the pill keeper it was in, leather ties from slippers, chocolate bars in my husband's gig bag, soap which made him vomit slimy foamy mess, a math book, some comic books, an uncooked rib or two off the counter, and a Bible (just Genesis and Revelations -- I think he was cheating). Oh yes, pens, pen caps, pen inserts!

We have all been there!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  5. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I thought it was just me that was always doing poop checks
    Watson can be am eater so I choose all of his toys very carefully! The last incident was when he stayed for a couple of hours at his aunty and uncle's house... the first hint something was amiss was 2 am and my white carpet and furniture being painted with diarrhea. Then came the vomiting... just bile. Then it a big chunk of blue plastic... it looked like a pen cap chewed up. The bile vomit didn't stop and neither did the diarrhea. So off to the e-vet we went because when was it? Why Superbowl Sunday of course.

I suspect we've all been in your shoes! Thankfully everything has passed!

6. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Oh yes, I know the feeling! For about 4 months not too long ago F-kap was a chewing monster! He ate countless rolls of paper towls, trash bags (empty or not), any food he could find on the counter usually bread and tortillas, and the worst thing was my prized fox skin! I had to pin him up every time I turned my back! Finally it stopped, I think he was just going through a senior rebel stage!:rolleyes2:

Don't be hard on yourself. This happens to everyone, even the best of us.

7. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    I'm sorry, I can not stop laughing. Reminds me of my Tessa, who stole and ate everything. Her list was impressive:rolleyes2:

8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Your post brings back memories of my Yoda, AKA Canna Banana. Yoda ate EVERYTHING. One day I was ironing a white shirt for my husband and while I was ironing one arm of the shirt the other was hanging down from the ironing board. I finished the ironing and handed the shirt to my husband to put on. Several "choice words" later (on my husband's part) we laughed till tears were running down our faces...one arm of the shirt had no cuff left on it! Sneaky boy had managed to quickly and silently chew off the cuff while I was ironing. Yoda's list of "eats' was never ending. Sure do miss our goofy boy. We lost him at only 4 1/2 to unstoppable cluster seizures. But what a wonderful 4 1/2 years we all had. :smile2:

Trini

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Oh my - this reminds me of my Liam. He is my chewer, always has been. He has chewed paper, toilet paper, paper towel, slippers, books, plastic. When he was at the vet's when he had his bowel obstruction, I told the vet he was a chewer. I don't think he believed me. There was a look of shock on the vet's face the next time I saw him - he chewed through the IV line and they found bits of the plastic line in his stomach.

His bark sounded funny one day - when I looked at him, I could see a kleenex at the back of his throat. He swallowed it before I could get it. He has raided my purse for gum, combs. If I happen to leave their brush down, the comfort gel handle disappears. I have had to Liam-proof my home.

I went out to church one morning and came home to a book that he had chewed - about 60 pages or so. An hour's worth of work and I had it pretty much back together:

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby too chewed plenty do things. Just as we were leaving to drop off a stool sample at the vet she decided to eat a plant. So we walked into the vet with the stool sample, a piece of the plant she ate, and everything she vomited on the way to the vet. Perfect timing on her part.

She also had a liking to books. Just told everyone she loves to read.