Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ramps

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Watson's Mom, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Does anybody out there have a ramp that they use so their dogs can get up on things without having to jump?

I'm thinking that we need something like this for our camper. Watson CAN jump up and down from the bed... but it is pretty high and now that I know he has mild hip dysplasia (no arthritis yet) and some instability in one knee, I really would rather he not do this... especially with the slippery floor he would land on. If we are around, I just pick him up and down myself (I love how moveable these little guys are!) but sometimes we will go out on an excursion and he gets to enjoy the air conditioning and whatever movie we pop in for him to listen to and while I THINK he stays up on the bed, I don't really know how much moving around he does.

I don't know if a car ramp would work if I could figure out a way to hook it on to the bed or if there might be some other option. He is not the best stair climber and I think he would just jump anyway.

We are going camping in about 3 weeks... I'm not sure if that would be enough time to get it and teach him to use it or not, but I think it would be better than nothing.
    Thanks!

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I have never used a ramp but Melli has stairs she can navigate on and off the bed. I chose ones with the widest tread steps and she hops up and down. Eventually, though, as she ages these won't be useful for her. I also may have to switch to a ramp.

3. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Ah, I found some indoor versions... I'm convinced Watson will probably never voluntarily get in the car... though I do think it may have something to do with having to try to jump in that he is worried about.

Trying to decide which one looks like it might be the best option..

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+18712+2874&pcatid=2874

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+18712+27805&pcatid=27805

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+18712+20248&pcatid=20248

The last one looks like I might be able to use it in the vehicle as well because it's plastic. But like I said, he's little enough to just pick up and put in the car.

4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    The last one (the steps) is the one Melli uses. She can do it by sort of hopping down them. The step treads are wide however the step height is hard for her (she's 16-1/2 inches). I have the 4 step one because our bed is very high. The top step is level with our thick pillowtop mattress + a 1" gel cover. She does it but I did notice that after agility class when she was sore she would stand at the bottom and look at me like help. Shay won't use (jumps). The cats are very comfortable with it. I assume Cubby will navigate easily when he gets bigger.

The second (scalloped on) is interesting.

I think I like the first as a ramp but I would want to make sure the foam is very dense or has a core. Didn't read fully. I like how it can bend in shape but not sure if the dogs navigate it bent that well? A sheltie would, that bulldog, not so sure. I like how it can be straight or bent but I would read all the reviews carefully.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I use a plastic folding pet ramp to get the dogs into the car. This is what it looks like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coopet-Easy-Access-Folding-Ramp/dp/B006OQ9BQ8 (over here it's called Coopers)

I did need to put some non-slip on the top otherwise it is a bit slippery. We use it all the time, it weighs about 4kg and fits well in the car. I can recommend it if you can get it over there.

I'm making a ramp to get Tully onto the bed. Love that first ramp you posted - turns out making a ramp with a platform is a lot harder than I thought it would be, wish I could have found something like that here.

Several years ago I brought a set of steps and the steps were way too narrow for my dogs. So if you buy steps make sure you look at the width of the steps - you'll notice that most steps have very small dogs modelling them.

6. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    The scalloped one I thought looked like a ramp/stair hybrid kind of thing but looking at it again, I'm not sure if it would make it easier or harder to use.

I like the bulldog one because I think that you can change it's configuration which could be handy in a small space like the camper.

When I measured Watson when the "how big is your sheltie" thread was going around, he was 15.5" inches so I wonder if like you said with Melli, they step depth might be awkward.

The slip factor is definitely something I'm concerned about too, Caro. I know full well that the second it slips and spooks him, he will be done with it... well maybe not done entirely but we would have to go into a nice long desensitization period with it.

If I'm understanding the first one right, I should be able to put them "head on" I guess is the only way I can think of to call it, so it's out straight rather than having a bend... but the platform in the middle might make it a little less daunting.

I think I need to go measure the bed in the camper!

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I have this one for Pixie. I use it so she doesn't have to jump up and down from our deck to the ground, which is only about 12 inches but with her arthritis it's tough. You can use it indoors or out, and it's quite light but stable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192E65I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried the stairs for indoor use and could never get any of my dogs to use them. So far, we don't use anything indoors. We just pick her up when she needs us to and she does still jump sometimes.

8. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Yes, the stair tread width is the best I have found, but the stair height would definitely be hard on HD. It would work really well with a long-legged one, but it is a challenge for Melli who "hops" down a regular staircase.

I think the bulldog one is the best option, but you need to see how much room it would take in the camper and make sure the reviews state the foam is dense enough to support and not sag.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
  10. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Yes, hopping is a very good description of how he takes the stairs. I have a baby gate across the basement stairs, since the basement is where the cat boxes are, and even though when he has been down there he's never bothered with them... I don't think I would even really need the gate because he doesn't bother with the stairs when it is ungated and we are down there (no need for the cat poop temptation though!). I think the hopping that I've seen is why I was really thinking ramp rather than stairs... I didn't even consider that they might make them for inside the house when I first asked and started looking them up, all I was finding was for the car.

As long as there is room enough for it to go out and he can get down and get some water with out a crash landing, I don't mind if it takes up the whole camper, I'll only have it out when we go somewhere he isn't welcome (which honestly isn't very often). It looks like it folds up to a size where I can store it either under the bed or under the table when we aren't using it.