Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Weight

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Watson's Mom, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    So, I had a vet appointment for one of the cats today and since Watson is quite well behaved and gets along fine with my worry wart Petey, I decided to bring him with me to get a weight on him. I also scheduled Petey's appointment with the doctor who took care of Watson's wounds.

She was excited to see him and amazed that even the lumps and bumps under his skin have almost completely disappeared. She asked to if I minded if I used his pictures as an example on wound care and healing for a talk that she wants to give.

We are now 2 months and 5 days out from his attack... I managed to put over 2 pounds of guilt trip weight on this poor little guy. But as of today he's back down to about 20lbs which is where he was when we started. I told the vet I needed to get a weight on him because I wasn't sure if he was actually getting fat, or just fluffy with his fur growing back. :lol: And as luck would have it, it's just fur! I was so afraid that he would keep putting weight on, especially after adding the coconut oil to his food.

Treats have been green beans, cucumbers, and 1.1 calorie dehydrated fish treats from Honest Kitchen. I followed a bit of this and that as far as what others feed (Mignarda and the hybrid raw, I think Ann and the dehydrated mix) and he now gets a scoop of kibble with 1/2 tsp coconut oil in the morning, and a single serving of Honest Kitchen base mix with a raw chicken thigh (for now, I want to eventually add other meats for variety) with another 1/2 tsp of coconut oil and thanks to I think Trini or maybe Cara- 1 toothpaste schmeared greenie chewie a day.

I know 2.5 pounds isn't really a whole lot in the grand scheme of how heavy some animals are, but that was a bit more than 10% of his weight and I really thought he would just keep gaining and gaining and be the portliest sheltie I've ever seen.

2. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I am so glad he is better:smile2:.

3. Harbour

Harbour Forums Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Waynesville
    So glad he is doing so well!

What does the coconut oil do?

4. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    According to the doc, it's good for their joints, skin, and coats. He's got mild HD so he gets the oil and glycoflex for that plus the side that was shaved has been dry and flakey... I think some of it just from all the healing that's been going on. Plus he loves it and gets excited when he sees me get the container out. :)

5. Lanie

Lanie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2013
    California
    Mine loves coconut oil too. The raw food tends to make their poops a little hard and the company I get mine from recommended giving coconut oil to make them pass easily. She's on the Honest Kitchens for Breakfast and Darwin's for dinner.

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I have mine on coconut oil. Liam had a thin coat since his surgery in 2012. I put him on the oil in June. He now has a heavier beautiful coat once again. I notice Emma is more energetic and running more since I started her on it in July. Natalie's coat is also coming in beautiful - she has always had a thick coat. I would recommend it. I used an organic virgin coconut oil that I pick up in the salad dressing/oil section of my local grocery.