Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Missy's trip to the pool!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Jess041, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Missy went swimming in a pool for the first time today. She was a natural! My friend Roberta invited us to go to another flyball friend's house with a pool to teach Missy how to swim. She already enjoys the water and laying in baby pools, she just hasn't gotten a chance to actually swim before. First we let her watch her friend Crush, the border jack, jump in a retrieve the bumper. Then we introduced her to the pool. She wasn't happy about being pulled into the pull at first, but we had treats and praised her. We showed her where the steps were and practice having her swim back to them. I brought her frisbee and it was floating in the pool. Next thing you know, she reached out and grabbed the frisbee. I think she figured that if we were going to make her swim back and forth she was at least going to make a game out of it! So then we were throwing the frisbee and she was swimming out and bringing it back. I didn't get a video of that but my friend did.

Then her friends Crush and big sister Savvy (sable merle Sheltie) came in the pool. The game is Crush swims around the pool with a toy, and Savvy follows him around and barks at him. Missy ran around the edge of the pool watching and whining for approx. 2 minutes before she decided she had to be part of the action. To our surprise, she awkwardly slid in (from the deep end!) and it looked like she instantly regretted it, but we couldn't get her to swim over to the steps because she was determined to swim along with the dogs. Once she started barking along with Savvy I figured, if she can bark and swim at the same time, she's probably fine. We only let them do that for about 30 minutes, and we were only there for about an hour and a half total. I was NOT expecting Missy to swim around like that! I'm a very proud momma! We might go back tomorrow, it depends on everyone's schedule

http://youtu.be/VJKDrPP4ar0

At the end of the video you can here Roberta say she thinks Missy has had enough. We were both a bit worried that she would get too tired since it was her first time swimming.

Video Roberta made-
    https://www.magisto.com/video/PVUTMQdXGjdoA0JiCzE

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Missy looks like she is having a good time. I think the most important thing with a dog and a pool is to make sure that they know where the steps are so that they can get out.

That has always been the first thing I teach. Even if the dog does not like going into the pool I still want them to know.

3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    What fun! I hope I get to take Fillion to try swimming some time!

4. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    BRAVO! A happy, confident swimmer already! Congratulations! so love to see a dog happy and getting such a great exercise!!

5. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    We're going again in an hour. The plan is to remind her about the steps, and then we'll probably let them play again. I'm glad she can get this exercise without dealing with all this Texas heat!

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How wonderful!!!
    Just so fun to watch them swim!!!
    Go Missy!!!:wink2:

7. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    ha bark and swim is an art, you know! :D
    Yayyy for duck shelties!!!

8. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Well after yesterdays swim, we had a hard time getting her out of the pool! And even after we got her out, she kept running along the edge, thinking about jumping back in. Luckily she didn't.. it takes forever to get those duck Shelties dry!

9. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sca would love it once wet I think. Spitfire has so much hair he might go down like an anchor :eek2:

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    That is so neat! None of mine have ever been big fans of the water even though all of them would go in if I was standing in the water holding out a treat...without the food incentive...no way!

WTG, Missy Girl!

Trini