Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fence fixes...

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 2GoodDogs, Sep 1, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    It is a very good thing I still have a puppy this morning. When I wasn't looking Justus has knocked out two fence boards. That must have happened late yesterday or this morning. He bounces hard on the fence when the neighbor has their pit bull chained out in their back yard.

My problem. Totally. My neighbors are allowed to have a dog, they are allowed to own whatever breed they choose. To their credit, he is neutered and listens to them pretty well. The ribbon winning obedience sheltie is the problem. Grrrr....

So, I had a few extra boards on hand and have made a temporary patch. Of to the home goods store to find a real solution...

Do you have/had this problem? I seem to need a fence inside the fence to keep him from throwing his considerable 40+ lbs at it repeatedly...

Until then, all trips to backyard are leashed and supervised.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My first Aussie was a fence body slammer. We had the entire fence replaced and turned it so the boards were on the inside so he couldn't kick them through. The neighbors were more than happy and our fence looked really nice from our yard. It was pricey.

On the other hand, just running a short segment of no climb posted inside your own fenceline would be cheaper and easier.

Also, going to the fence and using screws near each nail will prevent the boards kicking too.

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Years ago we had a fence charger/hitter who would throw his body, full speed, at the fence when something on the other side upset him...we ended up attaching a strong wire fence onto the wood fence (on our yard's side) so when he attacked the fence he couldn't break the wood because it was protected by wire. It needs to be a good quality wire...not something light like chicken wire...and it really solves the problem without being nearly as expensive as replacing the wood fence...plus it really works.

Trini

4. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I was having trouble trying to grow grass in front of the fence where Dickens likes to run and chase after kids on bikes. He goes back and forth along the fence. To get some grass growing I put a two-foot-high vinyl fence in front of the chain-link fence and closed it in, giving a three-foot buffer zone between the two. I trained Dickens not to jump the vinyl fence, but even if that hadn't been possible, there's not enough "buffer" area for him to make a clean jump to the other side. And because he couldn't get as close as possible to his objective, it seemed to having a calming effect on him.

5. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    We put up a lattice on it's side in front of where Milo likes to jump. It does help. We also have used tomato cages to keep him away. There is a raised area in the garden and he could easily jump over the fence there if he really wanted to. That makes me nervous though.

6. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    My privacy fence has some gaps at the bottom, but I was lucky and Fletcher only uses the ones that are left to look at people walking by. My collie was different as a pup, and would wiggle through. I solved it with a trip to Lowes, using boards to close the biggest gaps....

7. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    If he only runs against a few particular boards, I think I would be inclined to bring the fence back to it's original condition, then reinforce the outside of the fence with some cross pieces perpendicular to the main boards of the fence... Top and bottom, I'd probably skip the middle unless he's splitting the boards right in half.

How high of a fence will contain and average sized sheltie?

8. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    i bought fence boards and will double side the fence, neighbors and I will both have the smooth side to look at...

Then I bought the wire mesh fence and posts to make a fence inside the fence, to run the length of that side.

Not cheap, but good fences make good neighbors and keep good dogs good. ;)

9. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    The fence we're putting in is 3 feet high, and that's more than adequate for Honey. That being said, she doesn't jump, if she did, I'm not sure if that would still be secure.

Honey being who she is, I could probably put up a little garden border and she'd decide that she was stuck for life. She doesn't do well with obstacles.