Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wooly thighs

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Judyg, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Has anyone else's puppies had this? Lacey's fur on her back hind quarters is totally different than the fur or should I say fluff on the rest of her. On most of her body it's long and fluffy, but not there it's short thick and the only way I can describe it is wooly.

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Very typical - in my limited opinion. The "pants" are quite a bit coarser than the rest of the coat - and my least favorite part of grooming. I always took extra time on Trace in that area, lots of watered down conditioner.

I'm surprised you're seeing this in Lacey already. I just recently noticed that the fuzz on Baker's back is being replaced by flat, wavy hair. His "pants" are still as short as the rest of his body fuzz. I don't really remember with Trace, but I'm thinking he probably started getting a fuller coat early also. His dad had a beautiful coat & Trace got that gene for sure.

Poor little Baker...plain face, plain coat...

Just kidding - like my dad used to say about us "kids" - wouldn't trade him in for a good one! :smile2:

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Typical sheltie back end :winkgrin: Start getting her used to having that brushed and combed out as, trust me, it's going to get much thicker and harder to keep unmatted a she gets her full coat.

4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Thank you. I really have to work with her on brushing and combing. Right now when I work on her she has a hissy fit and tries to climb up on me to get away.

At least I know what to expect for the future with her.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Typical shelite/aussie back end. Cubby is with Baker though. Short butt still. My red tri aussie was THE worst with the cotton britches. I just pruned it like a hedge and tried to sculpt as best I could to look the best. My merle aussie I would trim and then nip inwards to make ragged edges (sort of like thinning shears do) and you could never tell.

6. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    "Wooly thighs"...just what you need in 108o weather!!:smile2:

7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Cotton batting is what it reminds me of...not sure why just the pantaloons get that way. Pain in the butt LOL

8. Sheltiez4evr

Sheltiez4evr Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Whisper has the most ridiculous, floor length wooly skirts.

We keep her thinned out and clipped in a nice miniskirt. Works just fine.

Let's hear it for Fluffy Sheltie Bums!

9. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.

You said it Dawn! They are not too thick right now, but just different than the rest of her fur.

10. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Back in the day, I had a separate grooming tool just for the pants on my boys. Wider tines, longer pin length.