Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Frontline the day after a bath?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Question: has anyone here given their pet Frontline right after a bath?

Basically, the situation is this: Fasb went to the groomer this morning. Wife and I unexpectedly got the opportunity to go out of town for a several days, so we're preparing to leave tomorrow for the rest of the week (be back late Sunday). Fasb is due for Frontline this week, and we'd like to give him his dose before we leave. Long story, but, basically, we've got someone to look after Fasb for the rest of the week. We trust them to watch him and treat him well while we're gone - no worries there - but we're less certain they'd carry out our instructions regarding Frontline,

Our groomer blow dries Fasb and is fairly certain he's dry when he leaves her office. He never seems damp (even down at the roots), so I think she does a good job. The groomers think he's probably dry enough to apply Frontline today.

FYI: When possible, we arrange groomings at the end of the Frontline cycle so he's due for a new dose a few days after being groomed. We normally give Fasb a new dose about 2 days after going to the groomer (48 hours or so). Sometimes we only wait 36 hours. Never had a problem doing it that way.

If he seems dry, think it's ok to proceed? Groomer had him this morning, we're leaving tomorrow sometime between 3 and 5 PM, so it will be 27-30 hours since his bath. His last dose of Frontline was 30 days ago.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Do it tomorrow morning.

Closest I have done it is a day or two.

3. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    As I understood it, it wasn't a matter of how dry the dog is, so much as the amount of natural oils that are in the skin. The frontline is stored and distributed through the oil glands of the dog, and to soon after a bath it doesn't get distributed properly.

Still something is better than nothing, and I have had to bath Honey right before she was due for a dose. It didn't seem to harm anything. If you are worried I would say go with a 3 week timeline for redosing instead of a 4.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I asked my vet about this... they told me one week before or after a bath...

5. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    We've asked our vets and various groomers over the years and they've all told us just to wait a couple days. We usually wait 2 days, maybe 2 1/2. We either live in an area with very few fleas or Frontline works really well for Fasb. We don't see fleas on him all that often & it's rare for a groomer to see a flea on him. He's 12 years old and only had flea problems once (same summer we got fleas in the house and Fasb had tapeworms - prob from eating fleas). That was 5-6 years ago.