Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Which vaccinations?!?!

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Cooper'sMama, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Okay... What vaccinations do you give you're dogs? At what age do you stop giving certain ones? My vet recommends DHLPP, rabies, and bordetella. I don't see bordetella necessary, so mine haven't been getting it. AND he gives it every six months!!! I just don't want them to be getting things they don't need.. And if a vaccination last longer than one year, I don't want to over vaccinate or give them something they don't need.... HELP!!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Rabies, distemper, lyme. No bordatella -- mine are never boarded.

I follow my vet's guidelines -- I trust him absolutely!

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Bordetella is for kennel cough - I only give it when we are actually boarding her. Some groomers and puppy classes also require it, so you'll have to decide then.

You will need the rabies vaccine if you ever plan to travel with your dog, after the initial shot - it is a 3 year vaccine.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    DHPP- L only if you're in an area where you need it.

Rabies is required by law in every state in the US- all now accept the 3 yr but your puppy will still get rabies a year after the first shot and then go to every 3 yrs.

Bordatella- yes it's for kennel cough and most boarding/grooming places require it as do some training classes. the biggest problem with this one is it's like the human flu vaccine- only good for whatever strains got put in so you can still get sick if you hit a different strain.

Lyme- only if you're in an area where you need it - not sure that it would be necessary in Georgia.

we do all but the lyme as it's not prevalent in Alabama. we do travel and the dogs do get boarded so we do get bordatella.
    Destin actually picked something up at a trial in May- soon as I noticed it, I emailed my friend. turns out only the blue dogs of our group got it- the youngest and the oldest. Destin bounced back very quickly once he got started on the meds- took the older guy a little longer to recover.

5. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Our records read DA2P23- so he got the three year combo but without the lepto. I talked it over with the doctor and we decided together it wasn't necessary. He has his 3 year rabies now (ugh- boosted with two years left thanks to being bit by an unvaccinated dog). He gets bordetella because he is infrequently boarded. This is once a year. I boost him for it because I don't want to have an emergency come up and need to board him but have him have to be in isolation because he doesn't have it (this happened once early on when I first got him since I never planned on boarding him).

Our vet mentioned something about doing I think distemper until they are 5 and then stopping. I'm not sure if I understood her right- he's only 3 so I don't have to worry quite yet about that. But I do trust her recommendations.

We don't so Lyme even though we live in the northeast. Again, together we decided the risk/reward wasn't enough to warrant it.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am going with 4 N 1, bordatella, rabies booster at age 1 for Cubby.

Rabies every three years til age 10 after which I will titer on all dogs.

I have decided that Cubby & Shay will get another 4 N 1 at age 5 and that is it. Melli was given booster when she came to me and as she is older she is done. If the vaccinations last 5-7 years as it proving to be the case only one mid-life booster is needed.

Bordatella only if I plan to board which has only happened once for 2 hours or groom which has happened once since 2002 so very unlikely. It's only a couple strains anyway.

7. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Baker's training class requires kennel cough...

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I did KC on Cubs 2nd to last set of shots. I will do a year update. By the time we need it again we probably will be out of training.

9. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I won't have to board mine anymore unless an emergency, because we jut bought a 30 foot camper. Woo whoo!!!! So I'm not gonna do bord. I will stop dhlpp at 5 years and I do rabies yearly. We don't have a need for Lyme around here.

10. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    This year, Missy was able to get her 3-year rabies shot, so we don't have to worry about that for another couple years. She got a DHPP booster, and she gets bordatella every 6 months because the daycare I send her to requires it. Recently switched vets, and she insisted that she should be getting bordatella every 6 months since we do flyball and agility classes. I am not sure what the new vet is going to do when it comes time for Missy's annual check up. I'm not sure what vaccinations she thinks are necessary. But luckily that is 6 months away!