Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Good training books/videos?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Sheltiez4evr, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Sheltiez4evr

Sheltiez4evr Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'm preparing myself to train my new Sheltie girl, who I hope will find me soon.

We've had Shelties forever, and have trained them at home in the backyard ourselves to return, sit, stay, heel, drop. They all have lived off leash except when we go to events or run errands.

I'd like us to do therapy visits at a local nursing home and at my university.

I've checked basic and advanced obedience, CGC, and TDI. We're two hours from training classes for obedience, and we'll do that for fun, bonding, and her good manners. We're an hour from a CGC evaluator. I'm not sure about therapy classes.

TDI does not offer, require, or sanction therapy classes. Would taking classes compromise certification?

Their certification requirements are sensible and have a basis in good manners, but are quite specific. I can see the connection between TDI and advanced obedience with some of the test elements, but not all.

We have plenty of people and places willing to help with socializing and providing many different environments for her to visit and navigate. But I don't know how to train for elements like wheelchairs, check in, etc.

So, how do I prepare myself to train for TDI certification? Are there books or training videos that you might recommend?

I have time to learn, as the first step is to create a strong and loving bond and good working relationship between us. If the girl I want comes home soon, we're about 6 months out from TDI training, if she has the right temperament and enjoys and is adept at obedience.

I'd really appreciate any advice, recommendations, or comments you might have so we can make a contribution to the community.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I really think the obedience classes do a good job for CGC and TDI readiness. ALL of the CGC tasks were covered routinely in basic and intermediate obedience at my school. We did them so many times that we only had a CGC practice night and all the dogs were like, "yea, it's review" and then passed easily. It's way more than sit, down, stay, come. It really is a process of turning the dog into a thinker and a listener ready for teamwork with you. The dog needs to approach each situation with eagerness and acceptance, not fear. I plan to take my time laying the foundations in classes, even maybe taking each class twice (repeats are 1/2 price).

The rest is exposure, exposure, exposure (in a safe and non-frightening way). You want the dog to be eager to meet people and see places but above all know that she is safe because she is with you. Exposure to anything and everything but start small and build and don't overwhelm.

3. Sheltiez4evr

Sep 8, 2014
    Minnesota
    Thanks, Cara.

I knew that we'd do obedience training--it's just a 'given' and a really good way to enjoy time together, have fun, share love, and build that bond between my new girl and me. We have a good CGC tester who teaches obedience classes that everyone uses. She's thorough, no nonsense, and kind--and she helps people get good results.

And there are plenty of places where I can take my new Sheltie for non-overwhelming experiences with kind people who want to help, starting with the library. They would like a therapy dog to help children with reading. I found out today. That's another good way for us to serve.

I've called about my new girl and am waiting for a response. Fingers still crossed.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Fingers crossed for you.

One book that was recommended before I got Cubby was The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete (Amazon digital download or hard copy). It was not training per se. It was more the psychology and development of a puppy. I found it interesting to truly understand the personalities of the dogs and how to guide them in the right direction to achieve potential. It's a quick read and while it doesn't really teach you to DO anything, it really helps understand who the dogs are and what you are seeing.

As to training itself, I found this book Teamwork, Book 1 and Book 2, Revised & Expanded Edition Stewart Nordensson and Lydia Kelley. From what I saw, I liked it. I gave these to my friend who is training her new pup to be a possible future service dog (she has MS). The dog WILL help out at home and possibly work in public. The first book was great foundations and the second focused on teaching tasks more amendable to a mobility service dog, or great fun for a golden! They also focused on training when the handler is less physically able. For instance, she will have a hard time with some of the class exercises due to use of cane, etc. From what I saw of the book and methods they seemed solid and easy to follow.

5. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    A neat thing available to you for training and browsing is bowwow flix. It is a subscription like netflicks and you can see all the popular dvd's from the gammut of field training - to go to ground. They've got alot to offer!

My best obedience book, if its still in print "PlayTraining Your Dog" - Patricia Burnham

Otherwise, there's a ton of them out there. Teri Arnold's Steppin up to Success, Competition Obedience - A Balancing Act, and Dogs Are Problem Solvers, Handlers Should Be by Connie Cleveland are all on my shelf at home.

Each has provided me with a basis, but not one book or dvd is the 100% way to go in my opinion, I take what I like - and what makes sense for my dog - and mish mash to get what works for us. I really like Denise Fenzi's new books, about motivation and drives - haven't finished reading them, but I've taken some on-line courses from her on-line academy, and had a working seminar spot in March. She's much more like I train..

My first dog UCDX Sasha CDX RA, we were a registered TDI Inc. team. We started with the CGC, then took the evaluation with Molly Crane who passed us. Then we had two or three supervised visits to the nursing home where she watched and critiqued us. After that, we had our TDI membership and went freely to the nursing home. It was a good experience for a year or so and then the commitment became too much. I was using vacation time to take off to go visit. Sasha was a wonderful soul, she had the innate ability to approach stroke victims on their good side. She was never wrong. Can't train a dog for that, they are born to the work.

As for becoming familiar with wheelchairs, walkers and the like - ask if you can bring your dog to a medical supply rental during the off hours so dog can become familiar with those. Flyer met his first baby stroller last night. It took a cookie (ok, three cookies) before he was comfortable approaching and then sitting close to it. My FB friends saw the pictures of that interaction. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. Sheltiez4evr

Sep 8, 2014
    Minnesota
    Wow. Thanks so much. I have some reading to do while I wait to hear about my girl.

I hope she has the right 'gift' for the work like Sasha. Amazing how she could intuit the 'good side' so accurately. That Sheltie halo in action.

I have the Monks' books. Wonderful.

I'm reading up on right temperament for therapy, but my choice will be a matter of the heart and not only of the head. My left brain sometimes gets in the way...not this time.

See you on the boards.

7. Cazj

Cazj Forums Regular

Jun 8, 2013
    Uk
    Hi

What is TDI please? I don't think we have that here in the UK.

Thank you.

Caz :smile2:

8. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
  9. Cazj

Cazj Forums Regular

Jun 8, 2013
    Uk
    Hi

Thank you for the links, TDI looks similar to the PAT (Pets As Therapy) that we have here in the UK.

Caz :smile2: