Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Buying Frontline from Retail Chain

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Fasb's Owner, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    I've been seeing Frontline in larger retail stores. Kroger supermarkets carry in back in the pharmacy. I saw it in pet section at Walmart. Anyone buy it from a retail chain like Walmart and have any reaction to share, good or bad?

I feel more comfortable buying it from the vet, but it's much cheaper at the places I just mentioned. Walmart, in particular, would be substantially cheaper. I wouldn't mind saving a few dollars, but I'm a little leery of buying it from a large chain. Probably just being paranoid, but I'm a bit concerned about quality control or that they dilute the formula for Walmart to save money or something.

I don't mind paying some more to support the vet and get peace of mind, but his pricing on Frontline and the other flea repellants in basically noncompetitive.

Thoughts. Anyone gone this route? Any problems or concerns?

Thanks.

2. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    We buy it from Amazon and have not had any problems so far.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    It's a bit of a strange question for me as here Frontline is available at all pet retailers and some pharmacies in Oz. Exactly the same as the one from the vet, usually cheaper.

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Frontline is not prescription, buy it where it's cheapest (and not sketchy).

5. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Until recently, I had only seen Frontline at the vet office and pet specialty stores. I assume it's been available through online retailers like Amazon, Ebay, etc. for awhile, but I've never checked. We've always just bought it from the vet, partly because we had more peace of mind that way, and partly to support the vet (I assume he's not selling it to us at cost).

We're paying a lot more than we need to for Frontline, though, and Fasb-related expenses have really jumped up the past two years. Between unexpected doctor visits for problems, routine visits for shots, tests, his various medications, etc., I think we're doing our share to put the vet's kids through college.

So far as I can tell, the products sold in Kroger's, Walmart, etc. is exactly the same as we buy from the vet. Just want to make sure we don't buy an inferior version of the product or something.

6. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    BEWARE! I bought some Frontline online from some pet supply place that I now can't remember but it wasn't any of the normal ones like 1800PetMeds or something similar.

I put it on my little Max and within 5 min he had a reaction that was bad enough I took him to the vet. $74 later, he was ok.

When I looked more closely at the Frontline Plus, I realized it said in TINY print....AFRICA. I never bought any locally that said Africa on it. I sent it back and they gave me my money back on the unused doses.

I wouldn't be afraid of Fosters and Smith or 100PetMeds or something but be VERY careful of buying it online and LOOK CLOSELY at the packaging just in case.

7. Chasin Ponies

Chasin Ponies Forums Regular

Dec 22, 2012
    Central OHIO
    Have been buying Frontline and other brands online from Canada for many, many years with absolutely no problems, but then again I've been lucky enough to have Shelties that were not sensitive to any meds.

After years of shopping online, you almost develop a 6th sense for which are the legitimate companies and which are true scammers. I just don't like the US prices!

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I own a retail pet store and Is till buy my pets meds for tick and flea from the vet. I live in a tick zone, so I don't take chancesl