Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sitting on My Old Girl

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Spazzy Jazzy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Spazzy Jazzy

Spazzy Jazzy Forums Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    Ogden, UT
    I stuck this in general, because I'm pretty sure this isn't just a Sheltie thing. Jasmine, my Sheltie-girl is almost 11 months old. She's been acting like a rebellious teenager for a while now, but she's recently begun acting like a bully toward my old girl. She'll walk over and sit on her, or lie down next to her to just stare her down. If Belle reacts (usually with bared teeth and snarling), Jasmine repeatedly pats Belle on the nose and it doesn't end until I break them up. I'm guessing this is a dominance thing. I just wish I knew how to train Jasmine out of it. When she starts getting annoying, I grab her Kong, bones, and intelligence-stimulating toys to keep her busy for a while. Or I take her outside and run around and play with her. Belle isn't the dog she used to be. She'll be 10 soon, she's on anti-depressants, and all she wants to do is sleep anymore. Jasmine has tons of toys, she doesn't need to repeatedly bother Belle. Any suggestions? Jasmine's an amazing dog. Ideas, or reassurance would be awesome. I'd really love to hear that it's just her age.

2. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Just keep separating them and distracting Jasmine. Honey, who is 10, hates puppies and Ruutu used to jump on her back and bark out the window with her as well as run her over. He still runs her over but very little, but the back jumping I had to put an end to. I just constantly told Ruutu "off" in a firm voice and if he didn't do it, I'd get up and separate them. Also make sure you are giving both one on one time. Jasmine is still very much a puppy and needs played with pretty intensely where Bella just wants to cuddle and chill. That's how my Honey is. She'd rather cuddle, get petted and give kisses. Oh and eat, she is a sheltie after all :biggrin2:

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Ruffles is the same way and she's 12 months old. Not as bad as she used to be, and we have four adults so she can spread the annoyance around. Pixie is my old girl with severe arthritis and Ruffy has finally learned to leave her alone. She will pester Checkers, Barkley and her mother Lacey endlessly though. They all react differently. It doesn't matter; she's relentless! We call her the puppy terrorist. :lol: And if I'm sitting with one on the couch, she'll insert herself. I know she wants to be alpha dog but she's at the end of a long waiting list. :rolleyes2:

They do sort it out themselves, and the puppies get better as they get older and a bit less rambunctious. Barkley did the same thing as a puppy to Pixie when he was a puppy. In the meantime, it might be worth considering providing a crate for Belle, and just leave the door open so she can go inside. I finally put one in the family room that Checkers and Lacey retreat to frequently when they need a puppy break. It's been great for them. As Melbell said, lots of one-on-one time too, especially for Belle so she doesn't resent Jasmine. This stage does pass!