Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Leaving Kopi to roam in the house while out

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by jaylam33, Oct 28, 2014.

1. jaylam33

jaylam33 Forums Regular

Oct 17, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    So I've begun experimenting with having Kopi roam around while I or my wife is out... so far just about 5 minutes.
    She has not taken to it very well so far, as I don't think she likes being left behind, even if one of us is still there... so she starts barking and whimpering.

Funny thing is when she is in her x-pen, she has no problem with us coming or going... doesn't make a sound.

Any suggestions on the transitioning?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Leave her in the x-pen while you are out longer. Get her used to the coming and going and feeling more secure. There's plenty of time later to maybe gate her into one room, then part of the home, then roam at will. If you push too soon she may feel overwhelmed and have accidents (set backs in potty-training) or become destructive (chew something).

Cubby is 6 months and he is either with my mom, husband, or me or crated still -- and he is a VERY good puppy and has 2 other good house dogs as role models. I have, though, left him while I go into the garage or even drove down to the mailbox and back. There is a baby gate keeping them downstairs and off the carpet at this point.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    It also helps if you give her something pleasant when you leave--maybe leave her with a peanut butter stuffed Kong. My guys don't even notice when I walk out!

4. jaylam33

jaylam33 Forums Regular

Oct 17, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Well the good thing with Kopi is we seem to have completed her potty training, so no more accidents while we're at work for 9 hours.

I'm just concerned like you said of the destructive nature although she hasn't exactly destroyed anything other then newspaper.

I think if she is confined to an area she will be fine, but I think it's the fact she can get to the front door that's when her whining and barking starts.

5. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
    When Cookie was younger (he's only about a year and a half old now) he would howl for about one-two minutes when I left. I would walk out the garage door and stay close enough to listen just to see what he did. He'd howl. Then soon he'd quit. He'd go grab his elk antler or jump on the couch and sleep (I had a window where I could climb up our step ladder and see him but he didn't notice me. Now he doesn't even howl anymore. Although I admit that giving him bully sticks frequently when I left him as a puppy certainly made him much quieter lol.