Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

watching my puppies grow

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by tesslynn, Nov 21, 2014.

1. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Savannah got the 1st round of shots (unfun day as she reacted with throwing up in the car afterwards, and explosive diarrhea that afternoon :-(, but that is how my previous shelties always reacted after any kind of innoculation, Kaleigh has been the exception)

Lil porker mutt gained 1.5 lbs since her wellness exam, we think her poofy fur factors in as she is such a fluff ball. Her ears are moving up on her head and her nose is tapering ever so slightly, losing the guinea pig appearance :lol: But the absolute fun part was taking her and Kaleigh to a fairly unused park and letting them run. Kaleigh is my herder and with a playmate, she is SO happy. Savannah was on a lead for the 1st time, she did extremely well, didn't bite at it, it is the long retractable type, so she was able to have some freedom, in open space, running. Kaleigh can be trusted off lead when there aren't many distractions. So the two of them running at each other, doing what they do just made me smile. They have a backyard, but it has ground cover, not grass, and has pathways, not free open space. They dart in and out of the bushes and trees at home. But spongy grass and wide open space is different and oh so fun for them. They have melded, and continue to work on being friends, they now take naps nose to nose. It is too precious.

Life is GOOD, watching my puppies grow, we did draw attention, and people stopped to comment on their cuteness factor. My girls thrive on attention, and will lick anyone nice to them, ha...ah puppyhood, such an amazing time!

2. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Yes, they are amazing! such a cute when they are puppies and then grow and become those beautiful animals and we stare on them delighted....

Puppies are difficult to handle with and you have a lot of work with them, most of all, cleaning the house...:gaah

But they are so lovely and charming, cute furby babies :hugs

Enjoy your sheltie puppies while they are :wink2:

3. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I hope Savannah does well after recovering from the vaccine reactions. One quick comment: One of my daughters would often visit with her little Yorkie (two of my daughters have Yorkies, but only one brought her's on visits). At any rate, she had a retractable leash that she used for walks, so obviously that is what I used when I would take him for walks during the visit. I never gave the leash much thought until I read several comments on SN about potential problems with those leashes. Long story short - I did some Google searches about potential dangers of the retractable leashes - and I stopped using the blasted things. Your research may not turn up cause for concern (or you may not feel that the concerns are unwarranted), but I would suggest that you look at some of the comments posted online and respond as you see fit.

4. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I use retractable leashes, while I don't recommend them for puppies, they're A-okay for adults. It helps bc we dont have a backyard. I did use one on Ruutu when he was a baby and he actually was afraid of it for a year. I had to work him back up to liking it. It also teaches them when younger to pull, so you're better off with a regular leash especially until she learns how to use a leash properly.

I should add, I don't use them for walks. Just for when we're in my backyard for the dogs to go where they want to go potty.

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    never knew

Never used anything else with my dogs...haven't had issues. I have a flexi type that has been in the family for years...it has outlasted my dogs...Kaleigh uses that one, and got a new one for Savannah.