Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Swollen spot on chin..

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Cooper'sMama, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    About 3 weeks ago I noticed jades chin was swollen. So I took her to the vet and they said it was from using plastic bowls. So I got stainless steel bowls and gave it a week. No change.
    I took her back and got a prescription for a weeks worth of clavamox. We finished those two days ago and their was little change.
    Anyone ever have the happen? It doesn't bother her at all.

Attached Files:

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Did your vet do a needle biopsy? I wonder if it is a fatty lump...although I have never seen one on the tip of the chin...but our Kinnon had a big one way back under his chin (where it curves into his neck) last year...it got big enough that we ended up having it removed.

Trini

3. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    He didn't. I figured I would take her back with me tomorrow since we are done with the antibiotics and no change. It's just weird that meds did almost no good

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I would assume that if it was any kind of infection the antibiotics should have helped....so that is probably off the list of possibilities. Does she rub her chin on carpet or anything that could cause irritation to that area?

Trini

5. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    No ma'am. I've never seen her rub her chin on anything. And since she had had it, she has never acted like it bothered her either

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    have the vet do a skin scraping.

7. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I've seen that before because of plastic bowls and in fact without reading I was a about to tell you to switch bowls. It almost looks like an allergy. Definitely keep getting her checked out

8. Cooper'sMama

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I love working as a vet tech.. But our babies Definately get put on the back burner. I feel like I have to ask for more extensive treatment or procedures to diagnose. It really gets on my nerves. I am going on permanent maternity leave Dec 29th. May just have to switch vets!!

But I'll take her tomorrow and see what they say.

9. Spazzy Jazzy

Spazzy Jazzy Forums Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    Ogden, UT
    Have them do a skin scraping to check for mites. That looks like what Jasmine had after I brought her home. The little nasties will spread all over Jade's face, if that's what it is. I was given a specific antibiotic for Jasmine, but it took two sessions of it. They gave me Entederm to apply to it. I was also told to switch to stainless steel bowls. It took a bit, but it cleared up. My vet told me puppies get them from their mothers while nursing and it can take them a while to show up. Hope the vet can figure out what it is. Jasmine eventually did start scratching at her chin and it ended up cracked and bleeding. The Entederm helped it a ton.

10. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I have a dog that gets that on his upper lip on occasion. It comes and goes. I've never had it investigated, since it doesn't seem to bother him. I use only stainless bowls.