Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy grooming tips

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by roguskie, Nov 25, 2014.

1. roguskie

roguskie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    How does everyone keep their pups still during grooming? Pippi has so much energy whenever she sees or feels the brushes. We really don't need knots :confused2:
    Please help

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I have used a couple of tricks with pups or fosters who would get super squirmy at grooming time.

First is to make sure they are exhausted before grooming...either long walk/run or lots of ball/Frisbee time. Let them have wind down time afterward until you see their eyes get that sleepy look...then it is grooming time.

Second, if exhaustion doesn't do the trick I have used the "smear PB very thinly over the front of a kitchen cabinet" method and while the doggie is standing in front of the cabinet focused on licking off every bit of PB...quick groom. This leaves a slimy kitchen cabinet...but it is an easy wash down afterwards.

Trimming feet and nails can be the real challenge until a dog trusts having their paws touched...but if you start with a tiny pup and every day gently touch their paws even when they don't need grooming/trimming, they get used to paw handling pretty fast. Always make it a happy time...treats in the beginning can help the process. If they are super negative about foot touching I will put a little PB on one front paw so they are busy licking it off while I work on other paws.

For anyone who doesn't want to use PB, liver spreads or cheese spreads work well too...with any of these the fat content is heavy so use as small an amount as you can to make it work for your doggie.

Trini

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It can also help to limit the puppy's options by using a grooming table (or grooming her on any elevated surface... I'll confess to having groomed my dog on my kitchen counter over the summer while we waited a month for the movers to bring our furniture). It doesn't have to be a scary thing, but it does remove the option of her just walking away.

I'll second Trini's suggestion of using food! If you have someone who can provide an extra pair of hands, you can try feeding the puppy her dinner, kibble by kibble, while she's being groomed. This will distract her from the grooming, and it'll also help her associate the grooming with positive things (ie lots of treats!).

You are doing the right thing by starting her young! Grooming will only become more complicated as she gets older and her adult coat comes in, so it's a great idea to help her learn to enjoy the process now, when she's wee and doesn't have a whole lot of coat.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Moved over the summer- that explains the Nebraska that I only just noticed:winkgrin:

starting a puppy out to enjoy/tolerate grooming is a great idea.
    but if someone were to groom Cranberry, you would think that boy never saw a brush until he grew up. He is the biggest wuss when it comes to brushing- the least little pull on a knot and he acts like you're killing him- such a drama queen:eek2:
    no issues with feet/nails though.....

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    trini gilmore -
    oh, how I love your ingenuity. :lol: :lol:

6. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    LOL Hanne...it comes from many years of working with rescue doggies who in some cases come in either totally unsocialized or having suffered enough mistreatment or neglect that their trust in humans has been pretty much destroyed. It is so important to always keep any work with them patient, happy, and yummy so that you can earn their trust and show them that most humans are actually good creatures. And sometimes the more standard methods of training simply don't work with them due to their fears and special emotional needs...so you have to get creative. I have learned so much from these wonderful little souls...and still have so much left to learn. :smile2:

Trini

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Trini - Then it's just wonderful that you share your experience with us, I will definitely benefit from this, as I have only had my little Minnie (4 ½ month.) for 25 days, and she seemed absolutely not grooming is a hit. :no:

(sorry -my English)