Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bringing Boo home on the 14th

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Boo'sMama, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Boo'sMama

Boo'sMama Forums Novice

Dec 6, 2014
    Nebraska
    Hello from Nebraska. I'm flying to the east coast to get my bi-black male puppy on the 14th: there and back in one day :ick. Any tips for flying with a 10-week old puppy? I have an appropriate under-seat crate, and the breeder will include some of the food, water, and blanket he is accustomed to, as well as a potty pad.

2. cmae

cmae Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2014
    Kelowna, BC
    Congrats on your new baby! Yay for another bi-black :) we love pictures when you get your pup!

3. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Welcome to Sheltie Nation! Congratulations on your new baby...I bet you are anxious to get your trip over and have that little Sheltie home.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Congratulations! Be sure to add your baby to the who's who list of 2014 puppies. We have quite a lot this year.

You will do fine flying.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

haven't ever flown with a puppy- good luck.

6. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Flew 5 hours with a 10 week old pomeranian. Little guy was awesome all through the flight, ( the airline I flew with does not allow you taking the crate out from under the seat or holding it in your lap) but he did have a poop in the last 10 minutes. He did it in the far corner of the crate and managed to get very little on himself. I had some wet wipes and took care of it after we landed. So my tip would be to use a pee pad to line the bottom of the carrier - something you can dispose of in case of accidents.

Also have you prebooked his flight with the airline - here in Canada they only allow one animal per flight in the cabin, so be sure you are the one that is booked else you pup ends up in cargo.

7. Boo'sMama

Boo'sMama Forums Novice

Dec 6, 2014
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the tips and the warm welcome

I'm flying United. They are charging me $125 to have a pet in the cabin. I told them he weighs 2 pounds, while my 15-pound purse flies for free. They were not amused. I'll line his carrier with a potty pad as suggested and bring a gallon-size Ziploc and some wipes to clean up and contain any messes. Boo is my first Sheltie, although I've owned both a Collie and an Aussie. I'm prepared for singing, herding and lots of hair, and I can't wait to smell puppy breath and rub a fat little tummy again.

8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Welcome. You must be getting very excited!

I have only flown once with a little dog (a senior yorkie rescue) from Chicago to NY. Air line rules did not allowed to take the dog out of the carrier which had to be fully pushed under the seat in front. The only negative we had was that the plane was delayed after boarding for 2 hours and the AC wasn't working while we sat waiting to be cleared for take off. It got really hot and I asked for special permission to take my tiny rescue onto my lap since being zipped up in the carrier was dangerously hot. Permission was denied as against rules, but the attendant did bring me a cup of ice cubes for my little rescue to lick and I wrapped a couple of the ice cubes in a piece of clothing and laid it next to her to keep her from over heating.

I think you will find that the attendants are very kind and do the best they can within rules should you need extra help with anything.

Have a good trip. Trini

9. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    united has NO sense of humor

I cracked up at your joke, of all the airlines, United is humorless. I worked in the airline industry in my younger yrs, and United was a competitor, I always found them to be devoid of much emotion other than grumpy. It is CRIMINAL the charges the airlines get away with. Enjoy that puppy, they are such a delightful breed, I think you will have your heart stolen....I love collies, my friends have two of the best ones ever.

10. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I said the same thing. I only had an hour flight from Sacramento back to Ontario, Ca, but I paid more to have my puppy in the cabin than I paid for my fares both there and back! She was all of 2.2 lbs then.

She did really well in the cabin under the seat. Our flight was delayed so I found a quiet area while we were waiting and let her come out to play a bit. Everyone who say her just flipped over how pretty and tiny she was at the time.