Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Olive's Heelwork

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Greenepony, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Olive and I started focusing on obedience last month. We missed the class cycle for the local training club so we've been mostly working on our own with some insight from the owner/trainer at the gym. I caught part of our off-lead work today (missing the long sit, down, and figure 8s, the down needs A LOT of work). I know she's drifting wide, I think part of that is the treat bag but something we should work on,and our left turn from a heel was not good. Anything I missed or hints to offer?

https://flic.kr/p/qkCxdE

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    definitely move the treat bag- that one is huge.
    keep the treats in your pocket or a much smaller bag in your pocket.
    I keep getting told- reward what you want to see.
    so if she's too wide, try again and reward when she's in the position that you want her to be in.

3. Greenepony

Jul 2, 2012
    I need to phase out food rewards more anyway (our new training club doesn't use treats, at least in the lower classes) so not a problem there.
    I think I need to channel my dressage trainer - if I'm not training, I'm un-training, repeat ad infinitum.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I agree. The swinging bag is pretty in-time with the drifting. Maybe a non-swinging option like an 2-pocket apron or in your pocket.

5. fuzbuttsheltie

fuzbuttsheltie Forums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a 16" split-face blue merle and a 14" tri and we plan to attend Colonial K9 in Stafford this Saturday. I believe this event is listed on their webpage. If you want some help, don't hesitate to approach me. My tri had a terrible problem in heeling wide and it was all due to the way I was carrying myself, my heeling pace and my footwork. Notice I wrote it was all my fault. It's difficult to explain how to fix these issues via this forum so if you want some help, show up!

2Gooddogs, Callie'smom and anyone else, do you want to join us? Stafford is pretty close to where our National will be held.

Dani
    OTCh Staymat Magnificent Journey UDX, OM2
    Blackmyst Poker Face CDX, RN
    Double Dare Derrick CD, RAE
    Retired: Armitage Dazzling Spun Gold CDX, RAE

6. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Generous offer! If I could drive it in half a day, I'd be there. It's an overnight trip for us and I'll just hold that rain check.... :)

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    while we are actually in the northeast at the moment, we are competing in agility on Saturday in Latrobe, PA.
    otherwise, you know I'd love to meet you and the puppers:yes:

8. Greenepony

Jul 2, 2012
    Oh I misssed this. We were up in Lancaster to visit my family. I need to get DH out to to a trial since he's never been to one before (my aunt competed at the Harrisburg PA trials when I was little so we went to support her.)

9. fuzbuttsheltie

Aug 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Sounds good to me!

Dani

10. fuzbuttsheltie

Aug 4, 2011
    Maryland

Hope the trip was worth it and you and your puppers had a great time. We'll catch you some other time. :wink2:

Dani