Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Damp combing

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Mom2Melli, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    In the grooming threads some time ago you all talked about misting the coat before combing. I've done it a couple times and sort of forgot about it. Tonight I hit on the jackpot. . . rain water is phenomenal at softening a dog's coat (I noticed today after a long potty break) so I caught rain water in a container, used a funnel with 1-2 coffee filters inside it, strained the rain water, and put it in a squirt bottle. Before combing, I misted the dogs to dampness but not wetness, and combed. The damp fur not only made the comb slide through nicely without pulling and making the dogs miserable, but the rain water made the coats come out delightfully soft. I am saving up some in a jug for a dry day and refilling the spray bottle as needed. According to online, if you live in a really acidic or polluted city, you might want to just used distilled or even bottled/filtered. It is close but not quite as good as rain water. I guess soft water is the key which rain water is. After watching how much happier the dogs were during the combing and just how soft they came out, I am totally never going to dry comb again, and will use rain water as often as I can. Heck, doing it this way I probably won't have to bathe as much either. Wonder how it would do on the cats? Hmmm.

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Cara! I use watered down leave-in conditioner, but looking forward to trying rain water. I remember my grandmother collected it to wash her hair.

3. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    They finally ran out of water in SoCal? jk jk :hide

I may save some rainwater to try your idea, love it being so much softer on their coats. I too will always use water on them when brushing now, it makes it so much easier on them.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am mightily impressed at how happy the damp combing made Melli and how soft the coat came out. I collected more water overnight. We had 3.25" of rain where I live so it was great. I got like a gallon.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    That's an good idea. I've got a big container of pure water from when my cousin visited and was wondering what to do with it. After decades of drought I can't throw good water away, but I prefer to drink tap water. So now I can use it to keep the dogs pretty!

6. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
  7. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    softer

we are getting rain in the rockies and last night it was POURING, but my girls don't like to perform their biz in the wet. It was a battle of wills last night to have the girls get their last potty break in before bedtime. Savannah is so stubborn, when it is cold, she doesn't like to go outside. But I wasn't gonna give in to her, because I know the results. She FINALLY relented and squatted, phew. All of us were soaked through. Got them all dry and warm and they were so soft. Rain water is amazing, and it leaves them so fresh scented after they get past the essence of wet dog stink, ha...

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, we have very often rain here in spring - including today. :yes:

- Minnie do not mind to walk in the rain, she just goes wide berth around the the puddles. :lol::lol:

When we come home, I dry her with a towel so she is brushed very well through it all, she has the finest soft coat when she is quite dry. :yes:
    (and I have no excuses not to do it :no:)