Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

HOWDY ! From Salt Flat, Texas !

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Niri Tawa, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Niri Tawa

Niri Tawa Forums Novice

Jan 11, 2015
    Salt Flat, Texas, USA
    Hi everyone, I just joined up tonight. My wife and I adopted a 7 year old Shetland from a neighbor of ours that lives a few miles down the road the day before yesterday. The woman is a good friend of ours, and moved out here from Alabama several years ago. The dog, "Shelly", used to work the lady's cattle in Alabama, but has done nothing out here, and must now weigh 60 pounds. The home life at that woman's house was a CONSTANT set of screaming matches, and a pair of caged Monkeys that were constantly making as much noise as they could to get attention. I think that the stress in that house is as much to blame for Shelly's weight gain, as anything else. She took to the two of us INSTANTLY, and is the sweetest little thing that you ever did see. She has NONE of the bad behaviors you would expect from a situation that she came from, and we would like to start getting the weight off of her. We have 80 acres of high altitude Grassland here, and have been thinking of getting several goats for me to have a hobby of custom crafting Goat cheeses for my friends. We think that the goats would provide Shelly with just the exercise, and mental stimulation that she needs. My question is, can a Sheltie that used to work cattle, pick up working with 4 or 5 goats? ALL suggestions will be welcome.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

if the sheltie already knows how to herd- shouldn't really matter what kind of livestock you get for her. get some sheep to go with the goats:winkgrin:

3. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Welcome!
    I agree, it may take some adjusting to the behavior of goats v. cattle but otherwise, I can't see why not. DH and I went to a goat dairy on our honeymoon and their goatdogs were mutts from the local shelter that adjusted to it well (try making goat quark too!)

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    My sheltie Gavin loves to herd the goats at a friend's horse farm.
    He has learned that horses and donkeys should be left alone :)
    I will say that his barking is a bit much for the goats (poor guys).
    If your girl is used to cattle, goats would be a breeze! I would watch how she herds...I know cattle dogs usually nip a lot compared to other herding dogs and I wonder if Shelly picked that up?

5. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Welcome to Sheltie Nation! We sure do like to see pictures of Shelties :smile2:

6. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    I don't know anything about goats or working your new dog, just wanted to say welcome. And a huge thank you for getting that poor dog out of that awful home she was in! Constant yelling will make the best dog crazy, but Shelties are so emotional and some are very sound sensitive, I think it can be very harmful. I bet she's going to be a great dog for you and your family.

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Hello, Niri Tawa, welcome to the Sheltie Nation to you, your wife and especially Shelly. First, thank you and BIG kudos for getting Shelly out of such a stressful environment, she is going to be so much happier. I don't know about herding, goats, etc., so I can't address that issue. I just wanted to say hello and that we would love to see pictures of your newest family member. WE at SN NEVER get tired of looking at these baby's. :hugs