Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Question about illnesses affecting shelties

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by VAKellyGirl, Feb 28, 2015.

1. VAKellyGirl

VAKellyGirl Forums Novice

Dec 26, 2012
    Virginia
    Greetings all :winkgrin:

Hope this message finds you all doing well.

Have a question about illnesses/health issues that affect shelties. My question is what age do things start happening w/them? My sweet dog, Kelly, who is 3 this year :yes: is in pretty good shape. She is walked 3 times a day, sometimes four. I watch what she eats. Is there an age that is the usual starting time for possible problems? Don't mean to sound stupid on this. Thanks for your assistance.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Thyroid issues are fairly common in the breed and onset tends to be around middle age... 7+ years. Congestive heart failure and kidney disease typically are late in life issues 12+ if they are going to happen. Arthritis is also usually an older dog problem...10+. However, any of these problems can manifest at earlier or later years than the average. Gall bladder "sludge" buildup is also fairly common in the breed...also typically a later in life issue. Idiopathic seizures, although not nearly as common in shelties as some other breeds, typically start by 1-2 years old.

All of this is very individual. Some dogs live well into their teens with none of these problems while others may struggle with several health issue from fairly early on. I think genetics play a role in when or if a dog will develop certain health issues...and obviously the daily care they receive throughout their life influences their overall health.

Hopefully your little Kelly at just 3 years old will have a long time before you need to be concerned about any of these issues.

Trini

3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I think diet is crucial, so many diseases and illnesses are linked to what they are fed. Next is vaccinations and routine meds-be CAREFUL with giving your dog ANYTHING, because shelties are reactive, educate yourself on the pros and cons of everything "recommended" as routine. Read the current info, many Vets and clinics aren't as current as they need to be. My girls aged well, both suffered hearing loss around 12ish, but were happy and thriving, though a bit slower after 14 until they crossed the bridge at 17ish. They aren't in our lives LONG enough imho, I miss my previous ones so much, the time flies by, so anything you can do to prolong their short journey I am in favor of!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I lost my first rescue sheltie, my heart dog, Billy to gall bladder disease. The onset happened about age 8. He passed at 11 years. He also had a complication with an adrenal gland tumor.

My current rescue Chance has gall bladder disease and is on daily medication to eliminate the "sludge" buildup. He also is on Thyroid meds. It began at 7 years.

Please keep a keen eye on these issues... I do blood panels 3x per year on my Chance (as of age 7) as I want to make sure he gets all meds he needs to be as healthy as possible!

So nice that you are asking these questions early on... Good for YOU! :yes:
    You could not find a better resource than Sheltie Nation! :biggrin2:

5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Feed her the best food you can afford and do research any food you are considering. It can be frustrating, but there is a wealth of information out there including this site. I totally believe that what we feed our Shelties has a major impact on their health/longevity.

6. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    My Trace passed on 1/26/14 at only 4 1/2 years old. He had either liver disease or liver cancer. The ultrasound couldn't tell which one and we couldn't do a biopsy because his blood wasn't clotting. He went from seemingly perfectly healthy one day to passing in my arms 9 days later.

I have always wondered if we had done blood work on a routine basis if we could have discovered there were problems and prevented his early death. We did what we thought was necessary to provide him a wonderful life: good, quality grain free food, only healthy snacks, only the necessary vaccinations, plenty of exercise and lots of love.

I think we will be talking to our vet about doing blood work on my little Baker boy. I'm hoping to keep this guy around for a long time.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Gall bladder, liver disease/shunts and hypothyroid are the most common in Shelties

Though I lost my Timber to cancer when he was 12.

Hypthyroid is totally treatable with meds and regular bloodwork to ensure the meds are properly balanced.

Gall bladder and liver....not so much treatable unless you are prepared for big time surgery. I lost my Bacca to liver disease last year. He was only only 6 years old.

But really, I would not stress out about the "potentials". You will know if you dog is sick and needs treatment. There is nothing you can really do on the preventative side.

That being said, and this is controversial, and I'm struggling it with myself as I have to choose an adult food for Callan......I am a strong supporter of grain free diets, but most of these are super high protein.

If I had to make a dietary choice, I would probably choose a protein between 25% and 32% - not more. For other breeds higher is fine, but I tend to lean towards less is more for Shelties.

Less protein, less fat (as they tend to get tubby without extreme exercise)

I settled on NOW! Senior for Indy and I've finally got his weight under control. I may put even 12 month old Callan on the same, because he is showing tubby signs.

Its not an easy choice and will make your eyes spin. But everytime I stress about it, I think about the crap food we fed our dogs growing up. And they did ok.

8. PAIGEAAA

PAIGEAAA Forums Novice

Mar 28, 2012
    Florence SC
    GB sludge

My 11 year old Sheltie is going through this, and I was wondering what medication Chance is taking to eliminate the sludge buildup? How long has he taken it? We were given some meds and a low fat diet for Timmy for 7 months, but the sludge is worse, and they are recommending surgery. Not sure about doing that, and trying to get information . . .

9. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    The medication used to combat sludge build up is Ursodiol. I have a friend whose Sheltie was on Ursodiol for almost a year with little improvement...surgery was then recommended but due to her sheltie's age (12) and some other health issues she decided not to go the surgery route. Her sheltie's dosage of Ursodiol was then upped from 100mg daily to 300mg daily and it did the trick within 5 months. If you are hesitant about surgery I would discuss with your vet the possibility of putting your Timmy on a higher dosage of Ursodiol.

Trini

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My Mr Chance has been on Ursodiol 250 mg for 6 years now!
    He has had no symptoms of Gall bladder issues since he started with the meds.

His blood panel after the first 3 months was great! No issues at all!
    He is a bigger boy at 35lbs.

Hope this information helps.

I get a monthly prescription filled for $58.00.
    It was only $30 before 2015. The jacked up the price!

Anyway, he is worth it and I am still working so I can afford his meds!

I agree with Trini... Get the vets opinion.